How do I use up all the fig jam that I have?

Went a little crazy with canning this past year, and somehow managed to can way more fig jam and preserve than I know what to do with. Love to find ways to incorporate it into my baking/cooking. Suggestions?

hardlikearmour February 9, 2012

Runaway Spoon's savories are a great use of it: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I had a thick, cornmeal crust pizza last night that combined fig jam, mozzarella, blue cheese, and pancetta which was delicious.

hardlikearmour February 9, 2012

Also don't forget gifting!!!

Melanie,Sodini
Melanie,Sodini February 9, 2012

I like to serve it with Brie and crackers. You
Can also make baked Brie with a layer of fig jam on top.

Tina Z
Tina Z February 9, 2012

I like to spread the Brie on French bread topped with fig jam and sprinkle with fresh thyme.

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner February 9, 2012

Make a fancy grilled cheese...

MTMitchell
MTMitchell February 9, 2012

A friend of mine puts it on crostini (or just good bread) with blue cheese or Gorgonzola. It's crazy good. She and I have made whole meals out of it (well, and wine).

m1800
m1800 February 9, 2012

Sandwich with goat cheese and roasted eggplant!

mainecook61
mainecook61 February 9, 2012

Homemade fig newtons are delectable. Marion Cunningham has a great recipe in her Fannie Farmer Baking Book.

bigpan
bigpan February 9, 2012

Great as a spread on pork - cold in sandwich, or on chops or rolled in a tenderloin roast.

cranberry
cranberry February 10, 2012

We were given a jar for Christmas. The giver suggested we spread on toasted bread (a la bruschetta) with a slice of prosciutto and goat cheese on top. It's pretty tasty that way!

Bevi
Bevi February 10, 2012

Make little puff pastries using pastry squares, your fig jam, and some chevre and walnuts or pecans - I bet that will be good! Fold the corners into the middle, and top with an extra dollop of jam.

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra February 10, 2012

1. I've found it goes well with so many cheeses and charcuterie--good for an easy dinner (with salad and bread), or to set out when guests come over.

2. You could fold it into plain or Greek yogurt.

3. Use it on top of a simple cake, or between two layers of a birthday cake.

4. Stir it into a vinaigrette.

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra February 10, 2012

5. Why heat it up/thin it out, and then you can drizzle it over ice cream or fruit.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis February 10, 2012

it makes a wonderful snack or tea sandwich when paired with goat cheese and marcona almonds on thin multigrain rye bread. also delicious in a tart i make: a marcona crust, then layers of fig jam, goat cheese and arugula salad on top. i can send you that recipe if you like....got it from whole foods years ago.

Voted the Best Reply!

Lizthechef
Lizthechef February 10, 2012

Sauté an onion, some garlic and balsamic vinegar. Add enough jam so you can cover a pork roast - roast until instant read thermometer reaches 160 degrees. Rest 15 minutes and carve.

Cheri Treasure Island

Now THAT sounds super delicious and I am going to try it real soon! Thanks for the idea with my 3 loves; onion, garlic and balsamic vinegar. Yum

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 10, 2012

You could stuff the chicken breasts with a mixture of the fig jam, brie/goat cheese and some thyme.

AntoniaJames February 11, 2012

Substitute it for half of the quantity of mashed banana in banana bread. I've also found myself with way, way too much fig jam. One night last month I was about to make banana bread only to discover that 2 of the ripe bananas I was planning to use had been eaten. I used about 1 cup of jam in the bread, cutting the larger lumps of figs (as I tend to make my fig jam on the chunky side). It was sensational. ;o)

Darlene Carrigan
Darlene Carrigan February 11, 2012

I just happen to have 2 ripe bananas sitting on my counter. This is perfect!. I get to use up a half pint of fig jam, use up 2 lonely bananas, and have a lovely breakfast tomorrow morning all at the same time!

AntoniaJames February 11, 2012

Don't forget to add a teaspoon of vanilla to the wet ingredients, even if the recipe does not call for it. ;o)

AntoniaJames February 11, 2012

P.S. Nectarine jam also works well as a substitute. I have too much of that as well, so I tried it in the next batch of banana bread I made. Actually, I made muffins based on the same banana bread recipe (from "The Tassajara Bread Book"). They were outstanding. I used toasted pecan pieces in them, too. ;o)

Desi93
Desi93 June 1, 2012

Antonia your idea was absolutely brilliant! I had a jar of fig preserves that I bought at my local farmers market that was overly sweet and i was looking for ideas of what to do with it. I took my regular banana muffin recipe with 2 ripe bananas, a little over 1 cup of the preserves (which was all I had left), cut down the sugar on the recipe since the preserves were way too sweet, and 1 Tablespoon of strong brewed coffee along with the rest of the ingredients. I am telling u these muffins were delicious!! Not only were they flavorful but stayed moist for days. My husband has been insisting I make them again. Loved them!

Maedl June 2, 2012

I love fig jam or chutney served with fresh goat's cheese, Manchego and Roquefort or gorgonzola,and Marcona almonds.

You could also make a jelly roll--the jam would be a pretty color pinwheeling through the cake. Top with whipped cream and pistachios!

savorthis
savorthis June 3, 2012

This is a little late but maybe you will make too much jam again! I found a smoked blue cheese in the grocery store and have been obsessed with it. My favorite thing to pair with it is fig jam- specifically flatbread topped with melted smoked blue cheese topped with a salad of greens in a fig vinaigrette with toasted pecans. I have a recipe posted if you are interested. The fig jam is fabulous in the dressing and the salad would be good on its own. I also like making canapes with a horseradish sour cream (or a decadent mascarpone) topped with smoked trout and fig jam.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo June 3, 2012

If you have a recipe posted where is it posed??No harm in telling us its address...

savorthis
savorthis June 3, 2012

Oh sure. It is posted here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Smaug May 16, 2018

Alright, it's six years later- if you haven't used it up by now, time to admit defeat.