Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

freezing tomato soup

Just found a recipe for a Roasted tomato soup. Would love to make a big batch with the last of the fresh tomatoes. Any opinions on freezing a large pot into single serving portions. Here is the link to the recipe - http://bit.ly/1L1Jeee

asked by Lucia from Madison about 1 year ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I use plastic pint containers from the hardware store for freezing stock, stews, soups, etc. I'll unmold these, then reheat over the stove in a pot, or occasionally microwave in a glass jar. I do not microwave plastic.

You could use glass Mason jars if plastic freaks you out. Sometimes, I run out of plastic pint containers, so I switch to Mason jars.

The square plastic pint containers do stack better and are a more efficient use of space. I buy a new set every couple of years and recycle the old ones.

ktr

Two things to remember if freezing in mason jars ate to use wide mouth jars (the straighter the sides, the less likely they will break) and to leave plenty of room at the top for expansion.

Yes, I freeze tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato soup all the time. I love having summer tomato dishes to pull out in the middle of winter.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I haven't made that specific recipe, but I make a similar roasted tomato soup (recipe is here) that I've frozen - freezes very well.

MMH

i have done this for years with my own recipe. i make it in the thickest version possible. in other word, i leave out water or stock. I freeze in 2 c potions in freezer bags. i lay the bags flat on a rimmed baking sheet in the freezer so they store easily. then, when i want to use it i can adjust to the thickness I want for either soup or sauce. it works very well. when defrosted you can adjust with wine or fresh herbs for whatever use you choose.