🔕 🔔

Do you simmer with the lid on or off the pot? This is for tomato soup!

asked by Zobird almost 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I usually simmer with the lid off, unless it's a stew or braise.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Simmer with lid off unless you have any vegetables within the soup that you want to soften. The simmering gently with the lid on can help make that happen faster

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

My grandmother would simmer soups and stews, and say. "What you need to do is put the lid on like this; so it just sorta smiles at you" and put the lid on slightly askew. so it it did kinda 'smile'.

I think that holds heat in and some of moisture condenses from the askew lid back into the pot..and a portion escapes.

1133cdd2 ef6a 4bb8 987e fd38d64fd484  image

I would simmer with the ld off, or at most, with the ld on a little askew, as Sam1148 notes. If you cover (and seal) the pot, you might actually add more moisture than wanted, as moisture collects on the cover and drops back into soup. With a soup, this is not usually an issue, but can be an issue idctrying to reduce a sauce, etc. However, best advice would to be lid off.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I think it depends on whether or not you want to reduce it, and of so, by how much. For tomato soup I would think you'd definitely want to reduce it while simmering, so I'd leave it either either fully or partially uncovered.