My gravy fell apart the day after. What can I use next time?

I made a scrumptious gravy using chicken drippings, marsala, and cornstarch, and maybe a bit of this and that for seasonings. It was rich and thick and totally perked up my leftover roast pork. Unfortunately, I packed my leftovers for lunch the next day, and when I opened up my tub the gravy had gone all watery. I can't tolerate gluten (e.g., wheat flour), so what else could I use? Or do I need to use a different technique if I utilize cornstarch? Would love any and all tips. Thanks!

asked by Westcoasty over 2 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Xantham gum. Bob's Redmill sells it. I know it sounds scary, but it is not. Using thickeners like corn/potato/rice starch will likely break after some time. You can always rescue a broken sauce with a little warm water and a blender, but if you don't have access to your kit, using Xantham gum in the first place will keep your sauces "saucey". Just remember a little goes a long way.

Westcoasty

I love the idea in principle, but unfortunately xanthan gum does not agree with my digestion. Rats. Thank you very much for answering, though.