My gravy fell apart the day after. What can I use next time?

I made a scrumptious gravy using chicken drippings, marsala, and cornstarch, and maybe a bit of this and that for seasonings. It was rich and thick and totally perked up my leftover roast pork. Unfortunately, I packed my leftovers for lunch the next day, and when I opened up my tub the gravy had gone all watery. I can't tolerate gluten (e.g., wheat flour), so what else could I use? Or do I need to use a different technique if I utilize cornstarch? Would love any and all tips. Thanks!

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 6, 2015

Xantham gum. Bob's Redmill sells it. I know it sounds scary, but it is not. Using thickeners like corn/potato/rice starch will likely break after some time. You can always rescue a broken sauce with a little warm water and a blender, but if you don't have access to your kit, using Xantham gum in the first place will keep your sauces "saucey". Just remember a little goes a long way.

Westcoasty
Westcoasty October 6, 2015

I love the idea in principle, but unfortunately xanthan gum does not agree with my digestion. Rats. Thank you very much for answering, though.

Voted the Best Reply!

mstv
mstv October 6, 2015

I would try arrowroot powder.