🔕 🔔

Gluten-free Gravy Tricks: What is the best substitute for wheat flour in a gravy that starts with a roux made with butter and flour? ;o)

I'll be making gravy using my "Make Ahead Turkey Gravy" recipe, if that makes any difference. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Here is a link to gluten free girls gravy,
http://glutenfreegirl.com...
It looks like she uses 2 types of flours, sorghum and sweet rice. She also said you can use cornstarch.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Hi AJ, Gluten-free Girl walks through the whole process here (she likes sorghum and sweet rice flours): http://glutenfreegirl.com... But (spoiler alert) -- the 3-minute gravy that A&M make in a video on our Holiday iPad app has no flour at all. I believe they use just wine, stock, herbs and of course the brown bits, reduced down more like a pan sauce, and you can mount it with butter at the end too.

Kristen, can the A&M no-starch method be used with a brined turkey? I noticed that elanaspantry has a recipe here, which involves cooking down onions and blitzing them with reduced stock, which sounds good. I don't have time to get sorghum and sweet rice flours between now and T-Day (though I do have some regular rice flour and some potato starch on hand). I like the idea of a stock + wine reduction. Although I'm brining my bird, I'm roasting the back and neck separately, to make my stock (tomorrow night!), so I could use A&M's method with the drippings from them. Thanks! .;o)

Yes, absolutely -- just be sure you use an unsalted stock so you can control for the seasoning in the final sauce. More un-brined drippings can't hurt either!

1f596ae9 f36c 4022 8b52 0c8583fd70b0  meg b f52

I always just throw in some corn starch as needed to thicken it - like many of the traditional chinese sauces.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i find mochi/sweet rice flour to be the best substitute when making a roux. i have a recipe for garbanzo bean gravy that uses garbanzo flour, and that can work, too, but it does impart a distinct flavor, and you have to whip the bejeebles out of it, but it's tasty.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I always use brown rice flour when I make roux for gravy. It comes out just as good as with wheat flour and you just slowly toast it with the fat the same way. Good texture, subtle flavor...good stuff!