Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I bought flaxseeds (unground) a while back thinking they would be easy to pound into flaxseed meal when I needed that. They weren't! Then I actually purchased a bag of flaxseed meal for a new recipe, and now I'm left with a lot of flax products on my hands. I know their health benefits, and I've been incorporating the meal into my oatmeal while I cook it (makes it nice and thick, since flax meal is a thickener). What else can I do with either of these ingredients? I've also put the seeds in my homemade granola...any ideas beyond breakfast?

asked by Raquelita almost 6 years ago

I've seen them used (whole) as a topping for bread, "stuck" on the crust with egg before baking. (However when the seeds are whole, they are not digested.) I used to grind small amounts of flaxseed using an electric coffee grinder.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I sprinkle flaxseed meal onto my morning cold/hot cereal. I'm not crazy about baking with it, as I find it leaves a heavy vegetal taste that I'm not crazy about.

Would the whole seeds break up in a blender, maybe??

Lots of things you can do beyond adding it to cereal. Here's the link to the Bob's Red Mill flax seed recipe section: http://www.bobsredmill...

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Like Hummusit, I grind my seeds in an electric coffee grinder. I add mine to my daily smoothie. Also, one of my favorite recipes is this one for Fig & Flax Cookies. It was the winner of Eating Well's annual cookie contest:
http://www.eatingwell.com...

C5a140d1 e981 4d06 a709 4bec292885ef  189590 1764963997099 1029093583 32029672 6144913 n

Grind in coffee grinder. Also the Bob's Red Mill pre-ground (available at Trader Joe's + elsewhere) is fine.

Our main and only use is in a morning health shake once prescribed by a fancy Manhattan dr: 1 scoop Spirutein protein powder (chocolate); 1 c skim milk (I have to use 2%); 1/4 c frozen blueberries; 2 T ground flax seed; blend until smooth.

Dr also prescribed the addition of 2 small scoops of Pro-greens, which I tried but just couldn't bear the taste of.

My innovation is to add a couple ice cubes, which helps texture. Also sometimes half a banana, but that can start getting a little too thick.

W/o the Pro-greens it is actually pretty tasty / pleasant, and it does make you feel like you're starting the day off right.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Replace about 1/4 cup of regular flour with the flaxseed meal in homemade breads, muffins, pancakes, etc. to make them more hearty. Mix lightly ground seeds into peanut butter or other nut butter. Sprinkle on celery and peanut butter sticks along with raisins. Add seeds to rice and vegetable stir-fry.

Just remember that flax is a natural laxative and it's quite possible to overdose to the point of discomfort!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I just put about a tablespoon of unground flax seed in my oatmeal this morning (with banana and maple syrup). Yum!

4fa8f6fd a181 41aa b4e7 be25efd9ec07  100 0039

Mark Bittman had an article on substituting a mixture of one part flaxseed to two parts water for eggs (http://dinersjournal.blogs...). I've done it for things like carrot cake and zuchinni bread and was happy with the results.

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

thanks everyone! keep it coming in~esp info like Syronai gave about the laxative properties. I had a feeling the whole seeds were not digestable...even if I roast them is this true? Why are they even sold whole then?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Whole flax seeds, soaked, give you egg substitute and work as a laxative -- like the classic Uncle Sam's cereal. They are the best source if you want flax meal because that hard shell protects the seed from oxidizing and turning rancid -- so I grind them in the spare electric coffee grinder. Then I put them in a good container in the freezer to protect them from the elements, especially heat. I put 2 Tb in a smoothie which either is my breakfast or goes with breakfast. I don't mind the taste of greens (some brands taste better than others) and I consider both greens and flax to be the essentials.
I don't do much else with them, but muffins would be another easy to get them into the diet on a regular basis. Bob's Red Mill would have a good recipe (I've seen it on the bag). Another thought, bars with nuts, seeds, etc., preferably not cooked. ...and some people like to sprinkle it over salads, put in meat loaf...