A question about a recipe: Brown Butter Apple Tart

E28039c3 161b 438d 96c9 6643c853c46b  appletgalette3

I have a question about the recipe "Brown Butter Apple Tart" from Phyllis Grant. Can I substitute 1 tsp of vanilla extract for the whole bean and the extract as the recipe calls for? Also, how much salt should I add to my butter if I only have unsalted? Thank you! :)

asked by Megan Town over 2 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Generally, I find it strange that a baking recipe calls for unsalted butter, however, if I were making this recipe, I'd just add a heavy pinch, so approx. ½ t. I like my salt, though. As for the vanilla extract, It is nearly always an acceptable substitution for a bean. If you can source vanilla paste, that is an even better substitution.

Megan Town

Thank you! Do you think 1 tsp of vanilla extract would be appropriate for this recipe?

I meant "salted butter" btw....see I can barely even type it ???? As for the extract....a couple teaspoons in the entire recipe should suffice. It's a nuance, so you won't really taste it.

Samantha

Hi Megan!
On the vanilla - the bean (especially that much) will give a much richer flavor than extract. Also, if you're adding it to a custard, it will provide those pretty black flecks, and maybe even a bit of texture. If you can find it, I'd go with the bean!