for flaming to add to a chicken recipe will Cognac substitute for brandy

Elizabeth David recipe for a roasted chicken, finished with flaming brandy poured over it. I have Courvoisier Cognac

asked by MELISSA O'SULLIVAN about 3 years ago

Absolutely. Cognac flames beautifully. Most would rather save it for sipping because of the cost, but if you don't mind that, go for it.

Cognac *IS* brandy. It's named after where it was made, a specific place in France. Brandy is the generic name for the spirit.

Cognac IS brandy, but all brandy is definitely not Cognac. As a Cognac lover, I don't generally flambe with it, but with a less expensive domestic brandy such as E&J.