Should I not use white wine when braise-roasting a chicken in a cast-iron pan?

I posted this as a response to another foodpickle thread, but decided to repeat it here, to improve my chances of receiving a response: Is there a problem with pouring 1/2 cup of white wine over a braise roasted chicken (spatchcocked) that's in pan juices created from the liquids released from the aromatics and other ingredients, and from the chicken itself? I brown the bird in grapeseed oil before putting it in the oven. Once it's been in for 30 minutes, I pour the wine over the chicken. I typically add another half cup of wine toward the end of the roasting period as well. In each case, I pour it directly over the chicken. Should I not be using my cast iron skillet for this? It's so convenient, going from stove top to oven and then back to the stove top, for finishing the sauce (and I have no good alternative). Thanks, everyone. ;o)

boulangere June 17, 2011

AntoniaJames, I've always erred on the side of stainless steel, enameled (such as LeCreuset), stove-to-oven pottery (such as Emile Henry), or anodized when using an acid.

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner June 17, 2011

We've added small amounts (1/2 cup or less) of wine or lemon juice to our trusty cast iron skillet to make pan sauces for years without incident. Not going to weigh in on whether that's the right or wrong way of doing things, but it has worked fine for us, with no ill effects :)

jwolfsthal
jwolfsthal June 17, 2011

I've heard the acid/iron debate for years. I have several old, well seasoned cast iron pans and use everything from vinegar to white wine in them with no metalic taste or ill effects. I would see no reason not to deglase with white wine.

CaryNC
CaryNC June 17, 2011

You may get a reaction with the wine. I am wondering if a high quality organic apple juice might work just as well????

Ophelia
Ophelia June 17, 2011

I've used red wine and several kinds of vinegar in my cast iron dutch oven both for braising and for pot roast and have never had any problems with the flavor. I'm usually aiming for a dark sauce though, so I wouldn't have noticed any discoloration caused by the iron.

Ophelia
Ophelia June 17, 2011

Oh! But for the love of all things edible and kind, don't store anything in your cast iron. My dad does this and it does sad rusty things to your nice pans and ruins your hard earned seasoning.