Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔
Loading…

My Basket ()

All questions

Fo lunch today, I was planing to use the cilantro pesto that I made a few weeks ago. I just opened the jar and it has some grayish-white "fur" growing around the inside top of the jar. Is it safe to scrape that off and use the pesto?

asked by Homemadecornbread almost 6 years ago
7 answers 4114 views
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135
Amanda Hesser

Amanda is a co-founder of Food52.

added almost 6 years ago

Not to be a scaremonger, but I would not use it.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036
aargersi

Abbie is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added almost 6 years ago

I wouldn't - probably wouldn't kill you or anything but I would be willing to bet the flavor is off if nothing else. And actually, if it has oil that is probably rancid .... yuck

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux
pierino

pierino is a trusted source on General Cooking and Tough Love.

added almost 6 years ago

That would be mold so the answer would be no.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo
Greenstuff

Chris is a trusted source on General Cooking

added almost 6 years ago

The USDA has a good fact sheet on moldy food:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov...
It doesn't specifically mention moldy pesto, but it'll give you some information to make your decision.

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added almost 6 years ago

Agree NO. Mold is very toxic for eating and especially breathing. Fresh products with those ingredients and no commercial preservatives don't keep that long. Next time, make it without cheese, freeze in small batches and add the cheese each time you defrost.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004
added almost 6 years ago

Red yeast rice in China, corn smut in Mexico -- molds with a purpose. The USDA chart is a good one for our everyday experiences. Personally, my problems with mold usually stem from the anonymous person who eats from the serving spoon, then dips again.
I have been making a cilantro chutney from Afghanistan that has never molded, from "World Vegetarian Classics" by Celia B. Brown --
Blend/process: 1 bunch cilantro (stems and leaves, coarsely chopped), 1 1/2 Tb light brown sugar, 1/2 cup wine vinegar, 2 hot green chilis, 2 cloves garlic, handful of walnuts.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061
added almost 6 years ago

I agree that it is some sort of mold and I would not eat it. While many molds aren't toxic to eat and can make some foods taste great, like blue cheese, the very same mold makes other food, like bread, taste terrible. Even though the fuzz appears only at the top, it is likely that it has penetrated the nice growing medium of pesto. I often make large batches of pesto with summer herbs from my garden and store them long term in the freezer. I usually pour a thin layer of oil on the top to reduce oxidation of the herbs.