🔕 🔔

I plan to make 2 whole, 14.5 lb, turkeys in one oven at one time. How do I calculate the approximate amount of time they should roast?

If we eat at 4pm, I'm just wondering what time I have to wake up :) Thanks

asked by Amy Vetal over 1 year ago

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Hi Amy,

20 minutes per pound at 350° F for a defrosted turkey; 10 to 15 minutes if fresh. So at 14 1/2 pounds, that's almost 5 hours! I'd get those birds in by 10 A,M, at the latest.

Sarah Jampel

For more info, check out our guide to the numbers: https://food52.com/blog...

Since time per pound is just an approximation, it's the temperature that you really need to focus on: "The targets after resting are 165° F for breast and 175° F for the thigh. If you're using a calibrated instant-read thermometer, you can pull the bird at 160° F. If you're using a 'meat' thermometer, pull it at 165° F."