As a followup to my question the other day about spatchcocking a 12 pound turkey . . . have any of you roasted one in a convection oven and if so, do you have any advice as to the cooking time and temperature, and any particular methods to use? Thank you so much. ;o)

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen November 22, 2010

General rule in convection is to drop temp by 25 degrees and keep an eye on things to make sure they're not getting too dark. I might recommend your first hour of cooking in "regular" heat (no convect) and then remainder in convection to get nice browning.

cheater chef
cheater chef November 22, 2010

325 F.

pierino November 22, 2010

First of all, go with God on the spatchcocking part. That's a lot of heavy lifting for a turkey, but it is a great technique. As with all poultry what really matters in the end is the temperature tested at the thigh. Also, I would rub it with oil and salt and baste the hell out of it while cooking so as to get a crisp skin.

AntoniaJames November 22, 2010

pierino, my son really likes prosciutto so I was thinking about putting some bits of it under the skin, perhaps with a small sprig of rosemary or two on each side. What do you think about that? I like the way prosciutto deepens the flavor of my stocks when I throw some in the roasting pan with a few backs and necks. Never tried roasting any poultry with it.

AntoniaJames November 22, 2010

Savorykitchen and cheater chef, I saw somewhere (Martha Stewart.com, I think) the recommendation that the 12 pound bird that's spatchcocked be cooked at 425. Any thoughts? I know to reduce by 25 degrees using convection . . . I always do "pure convection" when roasting/baking just about everything, with good results. Thanks so much! ;o)

pierino November 22, 2010

AJ, now you have me thinking. I wouldn't put "bits" under the skin, but possibly sliding a thin slice of prosciutto under the skin might work, along with say fresh sage leaf. Normally I don't like cooking prosciutto but I think in this case the melting fat may help moisten and flavor the breast. It needs all the help it can get. I must add that I haven't done this. Just based on your question, that's how I would approach it.