the fresh turkey i bought has some very dark spots under the skin. Never seen this before. Is it OK to cook and eat?

Is it bruising?

asked by L Wohlfarth almost 3 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

I wonder if you could take a picture and post it here? It's very hard to say without seeing it!

Kenzi Wilbur

Before we see the picture, I'd also say that if it smells okay and you know that every precaution was taken in the cooling / defrosting, those are points in your (your turkey's) favor.

L Wohlfarth

will do

Are the spots on the skin or on the meat? Are they large or small?

L Wohlfarth

Large and under the skin, as you will see in photo. I've cooked turkeys for 40 years and never seen this. Did not see this through the wrapper!

L Wohlfarth

It smells fine, but has these very dark spots on both sides...

Kenzi Wilbur

Huh. Thanks for the photo. These look like bruises—some kind of bleeding under the tissue—but to be safest, I would call the place you purchased the turkey from!

L Wohlfarth

Just went out and bought another one... Thanks.