🔕 🔔

Good Happy Thanksgiving Morning! Can I use my Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker to keep my creamed spinach warm all day?

I have read that you can keep mashed potatoes warm in a slow cooker. Assuming it could be anything like that, including creamed spinach. The wrinkle: I do not have a slow cooker! So -- was wondering if I can use my Zojirushi rice cooker to maintain it warm. Thinking I'll cook it this morning, it will take a couple of hours until it's the right consistency, then warm it up... Will it turn the spinach brown?

asked by Sandra over 2 years ago

Ali Slagle

Good morning to you too, Sandra! My gut says that this would work if you kept the rice cooker on the "keep warm" or similar function. But let me poke around and see if I can find a more conclusive answer.

Sandra

I appreciate that!

Ali Slagle

I'm sticking to my guns! I think this will work just fine since the cream will make the spinach resilient. It may brown a tad, but it'll still taste might good.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

You sure can - I've used it for things like that as well. If you have the 'extended keep warm' function, I would recommend that but the regular warming function will do as well. And can I just say how much I love the zojirushi rice cooker? If you haven't checked out their coffee thermoses you should - unbelievable!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Hmm, I am going back and forth on this... Here is a data point I have. My mom used to make creamed spinach around noon and it would wait for me to come back from school for a couple of hours. She kept it out and rewarmed it when I came home. And it was fine. However, I would boil the spinach and keep it in the fridge, and finish it before serving. Should take only a couple of minutes. Why do you think that it will take a couple of hours to reach the right consistency? Are you using a special recipe?