What is the most efficient way to squeeze water out of cooked spinach?

Every time I cook fresh spinach, it always has so much liquid in the bottom of the pan. I have even tried to use a lid hoping that the spinach would dry out a bit but that didn't work. When I plate the spinach I have a pool of liquid on the plate. Is the best way to squeeze the spinach or can I cook the liquid out of the spinach?

asked by Scottielew almost 5 years ago

Do you own a potato ricer? It works really well for squeezing the water out of cooked greens like spinach

bigpan

I use a few layers of cheese cloth and squeeze.

Scottielew

Thank you all for suggestions!

I usually use a tea towel too, but the potato ricer sounds like an excellent idea!

savorthis

I usually just use my bare hands or push it against the sides of my giant strainer with a spatula, but have also used a salad spinner with good results.

Dona

I bought a jumbo potato ricer just for this use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

fearlessem

I'm confused by what you mean that you tried using a lid? If you are using a wide saute pan, just turning up the heat to high at the end of cooking should be enough to evaporate the liquid pretty quickly...

dymnyno

I am a muscle tea towel squeezer too. If you put the lid on, you will steam the spinach and it will condense and remain watery. Take the lid off and the liquid will cook away very quickly.

Scottielew

Thank you for the great ideas and suggestions! I thought I would be able to just put a lid on the pan but now I know that won't work!