How long can we keep fresh oysters

We bought fresh oysters that were picked Monday the 23rd of November and we would like to serve them as an appetizer on December 27th, will they still be good? We heard we can keep them for 6 weeks.

Sylvie

asked by SYLVIE HACHEY almost 3 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

Packed correctly (on ice, not submerged in water), and pulled right from the ocean, you should be able to keep them about a week. I haven't heard the 6 weeks quote, but I'd suggest calling the place you bought them and asking their rules of thumb!

SYLVIE HACHEY

Do you think we can freeze them? They were picked by a friend, not from a fish market. He says that we can keep them for up to six weeks but I wonder if he's right?

Kenzi Wilbur

Since you have a little time, I'd recommend contacting Island Creek Oysters—tell them we sent you, and email me at [email protected] if you have trouble getting through. If your friend is an oyster farmer I'd trust him, but with seafood I always think safest is best!

SYLVIE HACHEY

Thank you for your help, i appreciate it. I live, in New-Brunswick, Canada. I will contact them by email and see what happens.