🔕 🔔

How long can we keep fresh oysters

We bought fresh oysters that were picked Monday the 23rd of November and we would like to serve them as an appetizer on December 27th, will they still be good? We heard we can keep them for 6 weeks.

Sylvie

asked by SYLVIE HACHEY almost 2 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Packed correctly (on ice, not submerged in water), and pulled right from the ocean, you should be able to keep them about a week. I haven't heard the 6 weeks quote, but I'd suggest calling the place you bought them and asking their rules of thumb!

53f6ba0c 62b9 46a1 b03f 98fac5fd85e3  image

Do you think we can freeze them? They were picked by a friend, not from a fish market. He says that we can keep them for up to six weeks but I wonder if he's right?

Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Since you have a little time, I'd recommend contacting Island Creek Oysters—tell them we sent you, and email me at [email protected] if you have trouble getting through. If your friend is an oyster farmer I'd trust him, but with seafood I always think safest is best!

Thank you for your help, i appreciate it. I live, in New-Brunswick, Canada. I will contact them by email and see what happens.