Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

What can I make with gnocchi dough besides gnocchi?

I started with good intentions - but ended up losing patience. Now I have gnocchi dough sitting in my fridge (1kg mashed potatoes + 2 C flour). Can I turn gnocchi dough into potato pancakes, or...? Thank you for your ideas!

asked by Aaditi Dubale about 1 year ago
D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

hi aaditi! i'm not sure what else—but potato pancakes have my vote! i think they'd work just fine. you could also try baking it (kind of like a potato breadstick?). keep us posted on what you do!

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Since the objective is to cook the starch, I would consider other cooking methods that subject the dough to a long duration of high heat.

My natural inclination would be to make thin cakes -- like rösti -- and bake them off in the oven. Sure, you could pan fry these, but that's probably almost a much trouble as making them into traditional gnocchi.

I would try one smallish cake in the oven, see how that works out rather than commit to the process for the entire batch.

I had a similar dilemma last month with a pumpkin gnocchi experiment. I rolled it out and cut large pieces and fried them lightly in a small amount of oil in a sauté pan. Then removed them to a paper bag with cinnamon sugar and shook them. They were good! They freeze well too. You could also turn them into dumplings, turn out a spoonful of dough into simmering soup or broth.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

you could try to make them into savory mini galettes (mini only because I'm not sure if they would be as amenable to stretching out into a reasonable size). fill them up with crumbled feta, olive tapenade and herbs. or spiced crumbled paneer (perhaps even a scrambled bhurji)

freeze some or all now; cook later:
"It is best to freeze gnocchi uncooked as soon as they are shaped. Arrange the gnocchi in a single layer on a baking pan and place the pan in a level position in the freezer. Freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Gather the frozen gnocchi into resealable freezer bags. Frozen gnocchi can be stored in the freezer for 4 to 6 weeks.
To cook frozen gnocchi:
Frozen gnocchi must be cooked directly from the freezer in plenty of boiling water, or they will stick together. Bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil in each of two large pots. Shake any excess flour from the frozen gnocchi and split them between the two pots, stirring gently as you add them to the boiling water. It is important that the water return to a boil as soon as possible; cover the pots if necessary. Drain the gnocchi as described above and sauce and serve according to the specific recipe."
Lidia Bastianich, reprinted in epicurious, Sept 1998.
http://www.epicurious.com...

Croquettes (or croquettas)? Add some cheese (or minced veggies/meat), rolls in bread crumbs (might have to do a dip in beaten egg) and deep fry.

A72e483a bd50 40ff aa50 5e8bdaacffd5  img 6826

you could make fruit dumplings (Austrian dish), just put a plum (or other round fruit) or jam inside and roll it into a ball. just add egg and semolina to the dough (if still possible).

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would continue to make gnocchi and freeze.
Add different flavors to make the different ... A batch with sage, or basil, or rosemary. Add in some mashed yam or cauliflower or turnip etc.
Freeze and enjoy another day.