What can I make with gnocchi dough besides gnocchi?

I started with good intentions - but ended up losing patience. Now I have gnocchi dough sitting in my fridge (1kg mashed potatoes + 2 C flour). Can I turn gnocchi dough into potato pancakes, or...? Thank you for your ideas!

asked by Aaditi Dubale almost 3 years ago

Caroline Lange

hi aaditi! i'm not sure what else—but potato pancakes have my vote! i think they'd work just fine. you could also try baking it (kind of like a potato breadstick?). keep us posted on what you do!

Since the objective is to cook the starch, I would consider other cooking methods that subject the dough to a long duration of high heat.

My natural inclination would be to make thin cakes -- like rösti -- and bake them off in the oven. Sure, you could pan fry these, but that's probably almost a much trouble as making them into traditional gnocchi.

I would try one smallish cake in the oven, see how that works out rather than commit to the process for the entire batch.

Jenny Spencer

I had a similar dilemma last month with a pumpkin gnocchi experiment. I rolled it out and cut large pieces and fried them lightly in a small amount of oil in a sauté pan. Then removed them to a paper bag with cinnamon sugar and shook them. They were good! They freeze well too. You could also turn them into dumplings, turn out a spoonful of dough into simmering soup or broth.

Panfusine

you could try to make them into savory mini galettes (mini only because I'm not sure if they would be as amenable to stretching out into a reasonable size). fill them up with crumbled feta, olive tapenade and herbs. or spiced crumbled paneer (perhaps even a scrambled bhurji)

freeze some or all now; cook later:
"It is best to freeze gnocchi uncooked as soon as they are shaped. Arrange the gnocchi in a single layer on a baking pan and place the pan in a level position in the freezer. Freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Gather the frozen gnocchi into resealable freezer bags. Frozen gnocchi can be stored in the freezer for 4 to 6 weeks.
To cook frozen gnocchi:
Frozen gnocchi must be cooked directly from the freezer in plenty of boiling water, or they will stick together. Bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil in each of two large pots. Shake any excess flour from the frozen gnocchi and split them between the two pots, stirring gently as you add them to the boiling water. It is important that the water return to a boil as soon as possible; cover the pots if necessary. Drain the gnocchi as described above and sauce and serve according to the specific recipe."
Lidia Bastianich, reprinted in epicurious, Sept 1998.
http://www.epicurious.com...

Croquettes (or croquettas)? Add some cheese (or minced veggies/meat), rolls in bread crumbs (might have to do a dip in beaten egg) and deep fry.

Katharina

you could make fruit dumplings (Austrian dish), just put a plum (or other round fruit) or jam inside and roll it into a ball. just add egg and semolina to the dough (if still possible).

bigpan

I would continue to make gnocchi and freeze.
Add different flavors to make the different ... A batch with sage, or basil, or rosemary. Add in some mashed yam or cauliflower or turnip etc.
Freeze and enjoy another day.