🔕 🔔

three part question about gnocchi

1. I'd like to include lemon zest in my gnocchi. I'm serving it with beurre blanc, pea puree, and roasted halibut. Should I make ricotta gnocchi or non-ricotta? Do fish and cheese prohibitions apply to ricotta gnocchi? In cooking school we made gnocchi that was just half mashed potato, half choux (gnocchi Parisienne maybe?), but it was a bit heavy and I'm not sure I want to go that route.

2. Do you have a trusted gnocchi recipe or method?

3. What are your best gnocchi tips and tricks? Pitfalls to avoid? Horror stories?

asked by Imogen about 1 year ago

1. Your suggested combinations of lemon zest, beurre blanc, pea puree & roasted halibut sound divine. The only gilding of this lily I would suggest are pea shoots as garnish, if you can get them now. Or next spring. Non-ricotta. But the fish and cheese prohibition, unlike the laws of motion, may be broken. However, this is your experiment, so you could try your recipe small batch, with & without ricotta, quietly in the privacy of your kitchen. Reporting the results...optional.
2. Nope. I'm in the grateful eater category on this foodstuff.
3. See J. Kenzi Lopez-Alt, as usual, for great tips. This article is about Parisian gnocchi, but has good information about gnocchi-in-general.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

You are touching one of my soft point: gnocchi.
Your idea of adding lemon zest to gnocchi is a great idea, and I would use normal gnocchi recipe. Lemon zest and potato are a wonderful match. Cheese with fish is usually referred to parmesan cheese, you can use ricotta if you wish, but my favourite would be potatoes gnocchi. ( yes, half choux is Parisienne)

Here are my personal recommendations:
1. Choose the right potatoes, the one to make puree.
2. Boil the potatoes the same day you are making the gnocchi. I don't like next day boiled potatoes.
3. Don't use too much flour otherwise the gnocchi will get too heavy like lead balls.
4. I don't add eggs
5. Don't mix the dough for too long
6. Boil until they float

My recipes is:
650 gr of potatoes, 170 gr flour (even less if you can), salt and pepper
You can use more flour to cover the dough so it does not stick to your fingers, but I wold not put more flour then that in the dough.
My gnocchi are very light and taste like potatoes.
Thank you for the lemon zest idea, I will definetly try that !

Da99f4cd 8368 4906 81f0 2d566f46a46d  image

1) I love the addition of lemon zest and your whole dish sounds lovely. I'm going to separate from the group and vote ricotta gnocchi here - it is lighter than traditional which I think echoes the flavors you have selected with fish and peas. I have a history of going rogue with fish and cheese though as a disclaimer, one of my favorite fish dishes to make actually involves a parmesan broth...
2) I have been using this recipe for ricotta gnocchi (or gnudi) for years: http://www.epicurious.com...
3) The resting/chilling time, especially with ricotta gnocchi, is crucial, unless you like to have crazy sticky hands and lose half of your dough working it into the right shape! On that line, a well floured and chilled work surface will also serve you well.