A question about a recipe: Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup

3b73bcc0 6b92 49c9 bf75 007e8bd0fc3c  cream of roasted tomato soup

I have a question about the recipe "Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup" from Amanda Hesser. can I used canned tomatoes?

asked by juliunruly almost 3 years ago

I'll bet Amanda will offer her input, but until then, I often roast canned tomatoes to make this and other tomato soups off season. Drain them well, cut in half and follow the roasting directions. They will caramelize around the cut edges. Save the liquid from the draining process of the tomatoes. You may want to add it to the soup.

Hi there -- sorry for the delay, just seeing this. I wouldn't use canned tomatoes. I don't think they'll have enough charm. Wait until next summer, alas!

Just read Susan's reply above. She's more experienced in this than I am -- you might give it a try, but I'd also recommend making it when tomatoes are in season so you can see both versions.

juliunruly

Thank you both!

As Amanda said, definitely also try it with fresh tomatoes at their peak, but either way, it's delicious.