A question about a recipe: Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup

I have a question about the recipe "Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup" from Amanda Hesser. can I used canned tomatoes?

3b73bcc0 6b92 49c9 bf75 007e8bd0fc3c  cream of roasted tomato soup
Recipe question for: Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup

Susan W December 10, 2015

I'll bet Amanda will offer her input, but until then, I often roast canned tomatoes to make this and other tomato soups off season. Drain them well, cut in half and follow the roasting directions. They will caramelize around the cut edges. Save the liquid from the draining process of the tomatoes. You may want to add it to the soup.

Amanda Hesser January 10, 2016

Hi there -- sorry for the delay, just seeing this. I wouldn't use canned tomatoes. I don't think they'll have enough charm. Wait until next summer, alas!

Amanda Hesser January 10, 2016

Just read Susan's reply above. She's more experienced in this than I am -- you might give it a try, but I'd also recommend making it when tomatoes are in season so you can see both versions.

juliunruly
juliunruly January 10, 2016

Thank you both!

Susan W January 11, 2016

As Amanda said, definitely also try it with fresh tomatoes at their peak, but either way, it's delicious.