What IS the deal with 1/4 tsp. stout??!

The recently blogged Steamed Pudding by Alice Medrich,
https://food52.com/recipes...

calls for 1/4 tsp. stout! Does anyone know what function is served by that tiny amount of stout and if something else could be sub'ed? The dense ingredients look stupendously delicious, but we never drink stout and it seems a bit ridiculous. One of the reasons I value Medrich's books so much is that she explains them. But not this time, apparently. Thx for your help.

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago

Jenny Maria

I would leavet out and if the batter looks to dry ADD some other liqued

LBF - the amount is strange. Many cakes, including Christmas cakes, have stout (somewhere around 1 cup or half a bottle), both for flavor and I suspect for boosting the action of the baking powder. See, e.g., this one from Nigella Lawson
http://www.nigella.com...

I meant baking soda.

That could be a typo--I'd question it.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Yes, it's a mistake. Should be 1/4 cup! Sorry about that confusion!!

LE BEC FIN

Glad I caught that! sarah, can you ask Alice if the stout can be sub'd with something else? thx much.

LE BEC FIN

sarah, has baking soda been left out of this recipe accidentally? nancy mentioned the stout in nigella larson's recipe- acting on the baking soda, but there is no baking soda in alice's recipe as it appears here.

I may have (unintentionally) started a red herring.
I was speculating about the effect of stout on baking soda, but that was in a Christmas cake recipe. Alice Medrich is making a traditional Christmas pudding, which is denser and often doesn't have chemical leavening added to it.
Look forward to the answer.

LE BEC FIN

What does steaming for ~ 8 hours do- that can't be otherwise achieved? It seems such a medeival technique. But we're technologically advanced now, right? Call in Kenji (Lopez-Alt)!!