Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Chicken soup gone wrong somehow

i,

I made some chicken soup. Here is what I did. I put a 7 lb chicken in a big pot with water to cover it. Threw in some garlic, potatoes, yams and turnips then it boiled away for a few hours. When everything was cooked I deboned all the chicken and cut it into small pieces and put in back in the soup. Then I let everything cool overnight on the stove. I finished deboning at 10 pm last night. This morning the soup was fizzing and it tasted sour. I have followed this procedure quite a few times but never used turnip before. It is the turnip that has created this fizz and sour taste? I put the soup in jars because I was going to freeze it but once I put the lid on I could hear that infamous sound and I don’t want the jars to explode in my freezer. What should I do next? The jars are all in the fridge now with the lids on very loosely. Thanks.

Vicky

asked by Victoria Minich 11 months ago
D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

interesting... by "fizzing," do you mean that it was almost carbonated/fermented? if so, i wouldn't advise eating it. but i'm not sure what would have caused it!

6278f761 dbd2 4bd2 be8b 5737824cbb46  fb avatar

Yes. I am unsure as to what caused it too. Oh well, guess I will make another pot. Don't want anyone getting sick that's for sure. Thanks.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Chicken broth can sour, especially if you covered it while cooling it. The fizz is worrisome. Turnip does add a slight tart flavor but I don't think that's it. I would be concerned. When in doubt, as they say, throw it out. Not worth a visit to the ER for gastric issues (please trust me on that).

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

No idea why it's fizzy, but I think the bitter may be from the turnip. My grandmother (who knew a thing or two about making chicken soup) used a parsnip for flavor, but cautioned against using a turnip precisely because - according to her - it could make the soup bitter.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

vic, from the answers, it sounds like turnip was your culprit. I would simply like to voice the unpopular opinion that leaving a chicken soup on the stove overnight(preferably on the very lowest setting and on a flame tamer, but also without such) is something I have done DOZENS of times in my life (though not in the hot summer) to NO ill effect in my family. So I don't think that had a thing to do with your problem.
As to the jars: maybe this sounds crazy to you, but would you consider this?:
1)pour a jar into a bowl and pick out all the turnip(big pieces i'm hoping)
2) strain the liquid from the bowl into another container. Is it tasty?
3) taste the solids. Are they tasty? If not, rinse them in a colander. and re-taste. If still NOT, then trash it.
5) if only the solids are tasty, add to them new chicken stock and any other liquids.
6) if solids and liquid are tasty, combine them and supplement as needed. If this method saves you having to cook the whole darn pot again, I say hoorah! (but maybe that's just me.)

78f24c74 4792 4eca 8199 b48a8da4f58c  stringio

This does not explain the fizz. I think the fizz is a symptom of bacterial growth. She did not leave it on low. The burner was turned off. I have read that chicken soup should cool down to 40 degrees within 4 hours. I think that it is a good idea to aim for that.

Hi and thank you for your note. The turnip pieces would have been too small. I tossed everything out. It didn't taste right and it had a smell too. Could have been the turnip as I have never used some in a soup before. I usually pressure cook it and eat as a stand alone veggie. Oh well, it was a lot of work and 9 mason jars of soup went down the drain. My next batch will be without the turnip. Thanks again

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio

When making soup the chicken is cooked in water with aromatics GENTLY simmered until the meat is done. Once the meat is removed and cut up, the making of the soup can begin. By throwing everything in the pot and boiling it all together you broke every rule of chicken soup making. Try again with a good recipe to follow. Please remember, You never boil a stock or soup.