Was making hard boiled eggs, and put the cover on the pot and let it sit for 10 minutes. Now the lid is stuck. Help? Is it going to explode?

Water was boiling when I put on the lid, then turned off the heat.

asked by Brette Warshaw almost 5 years ago

i think once the water cools the seal will loosen. but i could be totally wrong, and you should have 911 on speed dial.

I don’t think anything will explode. I would let it sit until the pot is cool, though. If the lid isn’t loose by then, at least you won’t burn yourself when you pry the lid off.

healthierkitchen

this might sound crazy but what about running the pot under lukewarm or cool water? Might release the seal? What ended up happening?

Assuming you took the pot off the heat before this... just set the pot in the sink and run cold water over the lid and pot, which will make the metal contract (shrink) and loosen the top.

Brette: for future reference, the pot doesn't need a lid for the 10-minute sit.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Hi, agree with Mrs. Larkin. The seal will loosen as it cools. June, I didn't realize that I didn't neeed to leave the cover on while the hard boiled eggs sit. Thanks!