What is the best application for about 3/4 of a cup of home-raised honey?

I got a small jar of amazing honey from a friends' hive for Christmas. I want to use it in the best possible way - ie, in a way that will show off the flavor as completely as possible. I really only have experience with baking, or mixing it in to things. What can I make that will do this gift justice?

asked by StrawberryPye almost 3 years ago

Honey ice cream

StrawberryPye

No ice cream machine. :( But I like your style.

Slathered on a biscuit or scone with some REALLY good butter. I'd want to taste it in its purest form.

LE BEC FIN

I agree 100%. Whip up some butter w/ a whisk or fork, beating air into it; add in honey; mix well. MAY be in a future iteration, try adding tiny bits of other notes: like orange zest or a pinch of various spices. Tarragon might make a nice honey butter for fish....

The other way to go about this would be to serve the honey with cheese, especially with an aged cheese with a fair amount of nuttiness: Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano, or manchego. Blue cheeses also work well with honey.

There!! That's the way to go. Yum!! Maybe some bubbly to go with it.

SeasonToTaste

Drizzle over a round of Brie, top with nuts and Dukkah (spelled Duqqa by some) or thyme and bake until ooey-gooey!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Honey mousse or panna cotta.

Toast some sliced country bread or baguette, spread with fresh ricotta, drizzle honey over the top. It's also very good on warm, buttered corn bread or corn muffins.

Jona @AssortedBites

I have to agree with most, it needs to be enjoyed on its own, and I too would choose to just spread it over some nice bread with fresh butter and a cup of tea :)

Picholine

I'm rushing right now to mix up a batch of southern baking powder biscuits so I can slather with butter and honey.Yum!

nancy essig

Hot buttered toast