Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I bought some shrimp and chicken on Tuesday night. I put both in a soy sauce marinade on Wednesday evening. How long will the shrimp and chicken stay good in the fridge, respectively? Thanks!

asked by Matthew Winkler almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Not too long. I'd cook the shrimp ASAP, and the chicken w/in a day or so. There is nothing grosser than rotten raw meat in my opinion. Here's some info on food safety from the USDA http://www.fsis.usda.gov...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Also, besides keeping it fresh - shrimp generally shouldn't be marinated for very long as strong flavors like soy will absorb quickly and overpower its delicate taste. And if there's any acid in the marinade (any type of vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) it will actually begin to 'cook' the shrimp if left to marinate too long.

I agree with HLA, but would note too that you can ruin shrimp by keeping it in too strong a soy marinade for very long. It takes on the soy flavor to the point of making it not even taste like shrimp. I'd cook both tonight, no question about that. Just cook them quickly in a skillet with a bit of oil, if you can't eat them right away. They'll keep a few more days in the fridge after cooking. Better that than having to throw it all away tomorrow or the day after. ;o)

I agree cook them now. You don't want such a long marinate if it is soy based. For shrimp just an hour or so is okay. For chicken, up to a few hours. The soy will do weird things to the meats. I make raw shrimp within a day or two at the most. I make raw chicken withing 3 days at most.

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

This Web site, "Still Tasty: Your Ultimately Shelf Life Guide," is awesome, and a great resource. http://www.stilltasty.com...

and if you used raw ginger in the shrimp marinade, they'll go mushy...and probably already have.