A question about a recipe: Sourdough Lemon-Lavender-Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemony Glaze

Ad454442 d73f 44ae 8c1b 6d57ed345b40  cupcakes

I have a question about the recipe "Sourdough Lemon-Lavender-Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemony Glaze" from girlwiththegreenhair. In step 5 it says to add pastry flour but it's not listed in the ingredients. What amount am I supposed to add?

asked by Lindsey Delp Ludwick almost 3 years ago

Probably the 2 cups of all-purpose flour listed in the recipe.

Sadly, online recipe copy editing is atrociously poor, not just here at Food52 but at every food site on the Internet that allows user contributed recipes.

Lindsey Delp Ludwick

Thanks for the response. I wondered but the way the recipe reads that doesn't make sense to me. The AP flour is already mixed with the sourdough starter in step one, then combined with wet ingredients and mixed in step 4. So adding the AP in step 5 wouldn't work.

Lindsey Delp Ludwick

Do you think it's possible that it's a copy/paste error and there's not supposed to be any pastry flour at all? i've never heard of pastry flour in a cupcake before. Does the wet:dry ingredient ration look good to you? I'm kind of novice and can't really tell.

Oh, you're right. The pastry flour ingredient is completely missing. Oh well, hopefully the recipe author will chime in soon.

The normal advice is to search for the recipe elsewhere on the Internet (recipes are often cross posted these days on multiple sites) to see if a different version lists the missing ingredient(s). I didn't see anything obvious in a search, so maybe this is the only online version.

Lindsey Delp Ludwick

I'll try that. thanks! I messaged the author too so hopefully I'll hear back. thanks for your replies. now i feel like i didn't just send my question to an internet forum black hole.

Beats me about the ratios, I haven't baked for decades (I lost my sweet tooth as a young adult).

I'd just wait for the recipe author to surface.

Well, a half cup of whole wheat pastry flour has magically appeared in the recipe ingredient list since you (Lindsey) posted this question.

Perhaps the recipe is finally complete nine months after it was originally published.

Lindsey Delp Ludwick

Yesss!