🔕 🔔

I have a baked quail recipe that says to cover the bacon wrapped quail with a paper towel while they bake in the oven; doesn't seem safe to m

Has anyone ever done this? I am making this today. Recipe says this will reduce greasy texture.

asked by mickle over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I don't see why not. Plain old paper has a combustion point around 450 degrees, but that's around an open flame. We already know that parchment paper has been used extensively in baking for over a century.

That said, my reluctance to use a paper towel would be because they are typically manufactured with a bunch of things I'm not sure I'd want to eat: animal glue, bleach, other chemicals, etc.

Rather than wrapping it in a paper towel, I would elevate the quail on a metal rack or find a different recipe.

Good luck.

48361945 4c0d 4900 a4fb fead7055d98f  stringio

I forgot to mention that the recipe indicated that the paper towel would reduce greasy oven splatter. Thanks to both of you who responded so quickly.

In that case, I'd forget the paper towel. Let the grease splatter. I've cooked bacon wrapped items in the oven before. Not a big deal.

If you are a compulsive cleaner, go ahead and run a self-cleaning cycle soon.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i agree w/ all of cv's points. One addition- a beloved 52er, kukla, made a great roast chicken thighs in a paper bag. I bet a quail would equal a chicken thigh for the same treatment. Kukla's recipe has been in my 'Must Cook Soon' pile for a long time!

https://food52.com/recipes...