I have a baked quail recipe that says to cover the bacon wrapped quail with a paper towel while they bake in the oven; doesn't seem safe to m

Has anyone ever done this? I am making this today. Recipe says this will reduce greasy texture.

asked by mickle over 2 years ago

I don't see why not. Plain old paper has a combustion point around 450 degrees, but that's around an open flame. We already know that parchment paper has been used extensively in baking for over a century.

That said, my reluctance to use a paper towel would be because they are typically manufactured with a bunch of things I'm not sure I'd want to eat: animal glue, bleach, other chemicals, etc.

Rather than wrapping it in a paper towel, I would elevate the quail on a metal rack or find a different recipe.

Good luck.

mickle

I forgot to mention that the recipe indicated that the paper towel would reduce greasy oven splatter. Thanks to both of you who responded so quickly.

In that case, I'd forget the paper towel. Let the grease splatter. I've cooked bacon wrapped items in the oven before. Not a big deal.

If you are a compulsive cleaner, go ahead and run a self-cleaning cycle soon.

LE BEC FIN

i agree w/ all of cv's points. One addition- a beloved 52er, kukla, made a great roast chicken thighs in a paper bag. I bet a quail would equal a chicken thigh for the same treatment. Kukla's recipe has been in my 'Must Cook Soon' pile for a long time!

https://food52.com/recipes...