Strawberry milk

Strawberries were on sale at the market, so now I have 3 large boxes in the fridge. One idea I had to use them was to make strawberry milk. My plan was simply to throw some chopped strawberries into a blender with some whole mild. But after a quick search on the internet, most recipes recommend cooking the strawberries down with sugar to make a syrup, then straining it. What's the benefit of that? Aside from removing all the seeds to make a smoother glass of strawberry milk (which I don't mind), I don't see why tossing everything into a blender isn't the better option. Am I missing something else that would make the cooking-to-syrup method a better one?

asked by MissChristina over 2 years ago

Have you ever tasted cooked strawberries? The flavor is more concentrated and extracted.

Raw strawberries are mostly water. The cooking process evaporates some of this liquid. This isn't just specific to strawberries, it pertains to most raw fruits and vegetables.

Throwing raw berries into the milk is arguably healthier since all of the nutrients are retained, plus there's very little effort involved.

It's really your call how to proceed based on the taste difference, how much effort you want to put into it, and whether or not you care about the nutritional benefits of raw fruit.

Good luck.

MissChristina

I have tasted cooked strawberries, but never thought about the water content in the fruit. Guess I figured it'll still taste like strawberries, but you're right -- cooking will enhance it. Thanks!

Also, unless your strawberries are exceptionally sweet- not likely in bought berries, especially this time of year- you'd probably want to add some sugar- as a syrup, it will sweeten more effectively and have less chance of going grainy.

From a commercial food processing standpoint, cooking the strawberries also destroys any microorganisms present on the raw fruit -- a significant risk in the way today's strawberries are cultivated and harvested.

This also results in an ingredient of consistent quality that can be stored a long time (frozen I assume) and takes up less space than fresh berries.

Strawberry milk made from cooked strawberries will also most closely resemble the typical stuff that's available in your average supermarket's dairy case.

Again, there are a number of factors that might lead you to pick one method or the other, but this is entirely your choice. In the end, you're the one who is going to put it on your table and drink it.

MissChristina

Thanks again for your answer. And I do care about the nutritional benefits of raw fruit. Also a bit wary of adding sugar. But I suppose I don't need to add the entire amount of sugar the recipe calls for. I've made a no-sugar grape jam from a recipe on this site before, and it turned out pretty good - still very sweet. But yes.. agreed that it'll be easier to keep for a long time frozen, as opposed to fresh berries. :-)

Since you ended up with so many, I'd try it both ways.

I love fresh strawberry milkshakes. I, however, have never made strawberry milk, but have used them often back in my smoothie days. Just be sure to rinse them well right before you use them.

former Community Editor

Another idea, try roasting them, like in this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes... -- but then blend with milk instead of ice cream.

ktr
ktr

If you do decide to make a syrup, I've had good luck freezing strawberry syrup in half pint mason jars. I mix the syrup with plain yogurt for a treat for my 4 year old. He gets a sweet treat and I am happy because it contains way less sugar that store bought strawberry yogurt. Strawberry jam works in a pinch too.

MissChristina

Ohhh, thank you! I was thinking about making the syrup some more, and started to wonder if it would be freezable. It's also for my 3-year-old, and I like your yogurt idea too. Thanks again!