🔕 🔔

Can you turn a basic white sauce into a dessert or sweet sauce?

Using a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk) can you turn it into a sweet sauce using something like vanilla, sugar, and strawberries or baked pecans?

asked by Anthony Jelsomeno over 1 year ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I guess you can. although I would pour it over the strawberries rather than mix them in. I have never done it but have seen some mention of it on the web. What do you want to do with it? Why not make whipped cream or a zaboyon instead?

1eec23aa 3c2f 41ac ae49 477e6577d8f6  fb avatar

I am new to sauces and i made a mushroom onion white sauce that turned out great and i was wondering about using the plain white sauce base for other things like drizzle over crepes or other things

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

PHIL is correct here. White sauce, béchamel, is a mother sauce. But as it's a mix of flour, butter (roux) and milk it's a little too starchy for dessert---not that you can't sweeten atit up. However a crème anglaise would be a much better starting point.
If you are just learning sauces a good reference to have in your library is James Patterson's book "Sauces". It's the bible.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Someone who knows better than me will reply I'm sure. Good Luck.

Thanks you both, i will look into that book as i want to try to make more sauces other than white. Thanks again for the advice