🔕 🔔

Can you turn a basic white sauce into a dessert or sweet sauce?

Using a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk) can you turn it into a sweet sauce using something like vanilla, sugar, and strawberries or baked pecans?

asked by Anthony Jelsomeno 10 months ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I guess you can. although I would pour it over the strawberries rather than mix them in. I have never done it but have seen some mention of it on the web. What do you want to do with it? Why not make whipped cream or a zaboyon instead?

1eec23aa 3c2f 41ac ae49 477e6577d8f6  fb avatar

I am new to sauces and i made a mushroom onion white sauce that turned out great and i was wondering about using the plain white sauce base for other things like drizzle over crepes or other things

PHIL is correct here. White sauce, béchamel, is a mother sauce. But as it's a mix of flour, butter (roux) and milk it's a little too starchy for dessert---not that you can't sweeten atit up. However a crème anglaise would be a much better starting point.
If you are just learning sauces a good reference to have in your library is James Patterson's book "Sauces". It's the bible.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Someone who knows better than me will reply I'm sure. Good Luck.

Thanks you both, i will look into that book as i want to try to make more sauces other than white. Thanks again for the advice