Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Keeping homemade bread

I've been making homemade whole wheat sandwich bread and this week, i discovered that even though it was cool when i put it into the ziploc freezer bag (and onto the counter), a few days later there was moisture inside. i took it out and wrapped it in plastic instead but now i'm worried all my future loaves will encounter the same issue (and mold). What's the best way to store homemade bread for about a week? Breadbox? perferated plastic bag? out of or into the fridge? something like this(https://www.amazon.ca/Prepworks...)?

thanks!

asked by CanadaDan 9 months ago
A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I prefer to store bread frozen (both my own and purchased) -- it keeps its texture and flavor the best this way, by a long shot. I usually slice it and toast the slices individually, but you can freeze chunks or whole loaves -- they will require hours at room temp to thaw before refreshing in the oven. Slices can go straight in the toaster without thawing, although some very moist and dense bread benefits from a short, very low power run in the microwave to slightly pre-thaw it.
An elegy to the joys of bread in your freezer from a recent New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com...

Ted

I use a recipe by Peter Reinhart for a multi-grain bread, containing oil and an egg. I let it cool for a very long time, then it goes in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Ten days is not uncommon for me to keep bread this way.

ktr

I used to have one of those containers. I have found keeping the loaf on a cutting board with the cut side down and a plastic freezer bag set over the top of it to work just as well, and better in certain situations.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I do this, too, except I don't cover it. Works very well and keeps a better crust on my homemade bread.

I make all my own bread, except in the summer when it's too hot to bake. I've found the best way to store it is wrapped in foil and tucked into my dutch oven, which I use as a makeshift bread box. I never have moisture problems and it will keep for 5-7 days, though it does get stale after a few days, so long as the weather is relatively cool. On hot, humid summer days you may get some mold at the end of the week so always be sure to check. I avoid the staleness problem by slicing my loaves in half and freezing half so that I only have a few days supply on hand at any one time and that's a short enough time frame to stave off serious staleness and mold. Good luck.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I've recently started baking my loaves on a regular basis. Let it cool completely place it into a ziploc bag and refrigerate. It lasts up to a week. Just warm it up a bit after slicing to soften the crumb.

thanks everyone...i usually freeze one of the two loaves i bake every other week but might switch to freezing them in halves instead, and will try keeping the loaf cut side down on a board for now....appreciate your suggestions!

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

I've been tempted to find out what Orowheat uses and go for that. Refrigerating will keep the mold off, but refrigerated bread will go stale very rapidly, in a particularly obnoxious way. I once bought some expensive magic bread keeping bags- the keep it very fresh but are no help with mold.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

I bake weekly and make smaller loaves, about 500 gm/1 pound each which works in my small household (I make freeform loaves.) The rest go in the freezer and are removed as needed. I do a combo of storage--cut side down until it seems to get too dry, then in a resealable bag on the counter. If the bag starts gathering moisture, bread comes out to dry again for a day.
To avoid mold, natural levain or sourdough is helpful due to the increased acidity, which prevents mold and increases keeping qualities. You can just add a bit to the recipe, along with the yeast. Some recipes suggest adding a pinch of citric acid or lemon juice to increase the acidity--the amount is small so it doesn't affect the taste.