Help needed please! Lemon squares failed to set

Recipe says bake crust at 350, then lower temp to
250 pour lemon filling on hot crust bake 25 more min. Filling did not set at all. Oven temp said 250. I just cranked it to 325, but am wondering what happened. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks hope I don't have to trash what has been done?

asked by see over 2 years ago

Can you post a link of the recipe?

I don't think you did anything wrong. I think 250F is too low. Or your oven is off at lower temps.

A lot of the lemon squares or bar recipes don't require you to lower the temperature at all, after the crust is baked. Majority instructs to bake at 350F, even after the filling has been added and to bake for 30 minutes or so.

Yeah, that's weird; I'd look for another recipe (I'd suggest Maida Heatter's sour lemon squares, but I've seen a lot of similar recipes. I'd also check my oven temperature at various settings.

see
see

Thank you all for your ideas. What worked was that I cranked up the heat and kept it cooking for about 10-15 more minutes.

Silver Palate has the best lemon square/bar ever. I think it's in the first book. Buttery shortbread crust with a tangy lemony topping. I googled online, but I don't see the exact recipe. The book is worth it for those and the pecan squares.