🔕 🔔

Chicken Liver Pate w/Cream Cheese or Butter?

My go-to chicken pate calls for 1 lb chicken livers, 3-4T brandy, shallots and garlic, allspice and thyme, apple, butter. I am playing w/ some variations, but I would like to know what I'm getting into. This recipe calls for cream cheese of the same quantity as my butter. What is the effect of using cream cheese instead of butter? (I'm guessing it would not separate, as butter can do, but I am more curious about the flavor difference.) Thx much!!
http://www.epicurious.com...

asked by LE BEC FIN about 2 years ago

Db228455 0e93 476f b0aa 627c6a5716e0  slack
Connor Bower

Connor is Food52's Social Media Manager

I would imagine that it would be a lot tangier than normal. I like your apple butter idea though, I'll have to try that out!

Cav

For me, good butter is an essential part of the pate flavour. Cream cheese would probably create a similar texture result to a liver mousse, but at the same time flavourwise send it along a strange path to a no-bake liver cheesecake. And when a road looks like ending in a liver meringue pie, I'm choosing the other fork.