🔕 🔔

How to fix "broken" sauce

I am making a garlic butter sauce with butter, garlic, white wine, heavy cream - adding the majority of the butter at the end. I need to keep it for several hours. How do I do that without it separating?

asked by bailboy almost 6 years ago

JanetFL

You might try keeping it warm using a double boiler and whisking the sauce from time to time. I've done this for a brief period of time when my meal timing was off, but never for several hours.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The cream should help stabilize the emulsion. Keep the butter as cold as possible until you add it and watch the heat once you incorporate the butter - too hot or too cold and it could split.

Some cooks will use a thermos to keep the sauce at a constant temp - you could try that.

bailboy

Thank you both for your answers. I will try my best to keep it just warm.

JanetFL

Good luck!

chef of the future 2000

Keeping a cream sauce warm
For several hours is a great way to make yourself sick. Make the suave closer to when you serve
It or broken sauce will be the least of your wprries