Tahini Refrigeration ?

Tahini Storage?

asked by Clay Warren over 2 years ago

Because I use my Tahini so rarely, I decided to refrigerate it. I've had it for over a year and there's no mold and no rancid smell. I put it into a glass container, so I'm not sure if the original container had a "use by" or "best by" stamp. Yours should indicate one of those.

Cav
Cav

Mine's kept quite happily in a cupboard. The jar explicitly says no refrigeration is needed, but I do go through it fairly quickly as I make copious amounts of hummus for wife and toddler, so it doesn't have time to get rancid.

ktr
ktr

Like Susan, I store mine in the fridge. Sometimes I go thru a jar in a month and other times it lasts for 6 months, so I'm more comfortable storing it in the fridge. I do store fresh ground peanut butter in the pantry however because it gets eaten quickly.

This brings up a new question. Besides hummus, what else do you do with tahini? I bought mine for this salad (which is delicious).

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/garlicky-kale/

Cav
Cav

I'll mix it with lemon juice and yogurt (or buttermilk). Add chillies, sometimes pomegranate molasses, garlic, whatever seems to taste good and use it as a sauce for roast vegetables, fish, or salads.

Great idea. I'm not a dip person, so this will be fabulous.

Cully

I'm addicted to drizzling tahini over steamed sweet potatoes or roasted broccoli. You can also use it to bake cookies or add it to your morning smoothie. It's more addictive than peanut butter, and is high in calcium and good minerals. It's one of my favorite ingredients to use!

@cully, I like the idea of drizzling over roasted veggies.

Wendy Four

You can make a salad dressing with it and use it on your favourite salad, on cold noodles/pasta, steamed veggies . Lots of good recipes on Allrecipes.com.

Great ideas. In fact, I made a quick version of Dan Dan noodles for dinner tonight. A little tahini in the sauce would have been terrific. Next time.