Tahini Refrigeration ?

Tahini Storage?

Susan W April 27, 2016

Because I use my Tahini so rarely, I decided to refrigerate it. I've had it for over a year and there's no mold and no rancid smell. I put it into a glass container, so I'm not sure if the original container had a "use by" or "best by" stamp. Yours should indicate one of those.

Cav
Cav April 27, 2016

Mine's kept quite happily in a cupboard. The jar explicitly says no refrigeration is needed, but I do go through it fairly quickly as I make copious amounts of hummus for wife and toddler, so it doesn't have time to get rancid.

ktr
ktr April 27, 2016

Like Susan, I store mine in the fridge. Sometimes I go thru a jar in a month and other times it lasts for 6 months, so I'm more comfortable storing it in the fridge. I do store fresh ground peanut butter in the pantry however because it gets eaten quickly.

Susan W April 27, 2016

This brings up a new question. Besides hummus, what else do you do with tahini? I bought mine for this salad (which is delicious).

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/garlicky-kale/

Cav
Cav April 27, 2016

I'll mix it with lemon juice and yogurt (or buttermilk). Add chillies, sometimes pomegranate molasses, garlic, whatever seems to taste good and use it as a sauce for roast vegetables, fish, or salads.

Susan W April 27, 2016

Great idea. I'm not a dip person, so this will be fabulous.

Cully
Cully April 27, 2016

I'm addicted to drizzling tahini over steamed sweet potatoes or roasted broccoli. You can also use it to bake cookies or add it to your morning smoothie. It's more addictive than peanut butter, and is high in calcium and good minerals. It's one of my favorite ingredients to use!

Susan W April 28, 2016

@cully, I like the idea of drizzling over roasted veggies.

Wendy Four
Wendy Four April 28, 2016

You can make a salad dressing with it and use it on your favourite salad, on cold noodles/pasta, steamed veggies . Lots of good recipes on Allrecipes.com.

Susan W April 28, 2016

Great ideas. In fact, I made a quick version of Dan Dan noodles for dinner tonight. A little tahini in the sauce would have been terrific. Next time.