I didn't refrigerate my tahini after opening, and that was a few months back. Is it safe to use?

asked by Maria Isabel Ray about 6 years ago

lloreen

If it smells and looks ok, then I think it is okay. Nut butters can keep a long time and tahini is really just ground sesame seeds.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I never refrigerate tahini. I store it upside-down in my pantry.

davidpdx

Like any vegetable oil, it can become rancid. Best test is your nose: if it smells appealingly nutty, it is fine; if it smells sharp and (according to some) "like a crayon" then it is over the hill. I've found that tahini lasts quite a long time before spoiling.

I've never had tahini go bad, and never refrigerate it. Unlike most nut butters, it seems to be unusually stable. This came up a while ago on Hotline, and there were opposing opinions, though. Refrigerating won't hurt it, so if you feel more comfortable doing that, you can. The oil naturally rises to the top -- just stir it in, getting all the way to the bottom.

bigpan

As long as it has a thin layer of oil covering it, it will be fine.

nomnivorous

I don't refrigerate my tahini. Yes, it can go bad but unless it smells weird, it should be fine!