🔕 🔔

I didn't refrigerate my tahini after opening, and that was a few months back. Is it safe to use?

asked by Maria Isabel Ray over 5 years ago

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

If it smells and looks ok, then I think it is okay. Nut butters can keep a long time and tahini is really just ground sesame seeds.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I never refrigerate tahini. I store it upside-down in my pantry.

Like any vegetable oil, it can become rancid. Best test is your nose: if it smells appealingly nutty, it is fine; if it smells sharp and (according to some) "like a crayon" then it is over the hill. I've found that tahini lasts quite a long time before spoiling.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I've never had tahini go bad, and never refrigerate it. Unlike most nut butters, it seems to be unusually stable. This came up a while ago on Hotline, and there were opposing opinions, though. Refrigerating won't hurt it, so if you feel more comfortable doing that, you can. The oil naturally rises to the top -- just stir it in, getting all the way to the bottom.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

As long as it has a thin layer of oil covering it, it will be fine.

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

I don't refrigerate my tahini. Yes, it can go bad but unless it smells weird, it should be fine!