I know there is another translated recipe that has been posted in this site by my friend, but this one is a different recipe. Actually, we got the same task in which each of us has been asked to translate a different recipe. And, this one is known as "Pepes Ayam Kampung Daun Kemangi" in Indonesia. Here is the recipe:
Steamed Chicken with Lemon Basil Wrapped in Banana Palm Leaf
½ kg chicken, cut in to 7 pcs
1 tomato, cut into 7 pcs
1 cm galangal
1 cm ginger
1 cm turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
6 cloves of garlic
4 cloves of onion
1 Tbs. Knorr All-in-One
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp candlenut
2 pcs kaffir lime for removing the raw chicken smell
4 Tbs. cooking oil for sautéing
Banana palm leaves (make it wither by drying it on a stove)
1. Smear the chicken with Squeezed lime juice. Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes. Then, clean it up.
2. Puree all the ingredients with blender, then sauté the puree until it smells aromatically.
3. Put in 7 pieces of chicken, then add 3 Tbs. water, stir until it is dried.
4. Take the dried banana palm leaves for covering the chickens.
5. Put lemon basils on top of each banana palm leaf.
6. Add 1 piece of chicken, and give other lemon basils on the top of the chicken and put a piece of tomato.
7. Wrap up the banana leaves until it covers all. Pin the banana palm leaf with small skewers/toothpicks in the corner and the middle.
8. Repeat the 5-7 step for the 6 other pieces of chicken.
9. Steam the chickens wrapped with banana palm leaf for about 40 minutes.
10. Delicious steamed chickens wrapped with banana palm leaf are ready to serve.
1. For chickens: Usually in Indonesia, most of recipes use "ayam kampung" (Javanese chickens) for better dishes. "Ayam kampung" is a traditional-raised chicken with low fat under its skin, has yellow-coloured skin and lean and tender meat. It lives freely and searches its food itself.
2. For MSG enhancer: You can either follow the recipe or use another MSG enhancer, like Accent Flavor Enhancer, with your desired measurement.
3. For banana palm leaf: Alternatively, if you can’t find any banana palm leaf, you can look for aluminum foil or cooking paper.
Any feedback and comment of yours will be highly appreciated and help us much in writing the report. Thank you.
Turn any vessel into storage instantly
Get 20% Off These Versatile, Airtight Silicone Lids
Thanksgiving Questions? Our Team is Here to Help.
The Best Gifts for $50 or Less
Set a Stunning Holiday Table
Bold New Colors for Our Favorite Bottle Grinders
Hi there! Create a Food52 account to save your favorite recipes, features, and Shop finds.
Join the party—there'll be cake.
Already have an account?Log In
Hey, you! Welcome back.
Don't have an account?Sign Up
Enter your email below and we'll send you instructions on how to reset your password
Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.
(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)