Special Yellow Beef Soup of Sokaraja
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total: 65 minutes
500 gram of beef (choose the brisket cut)
750 ml water
2 stalks of lemongrass, crushed (you can substitute with 2 lemon verbena leaves)
1 tbsp. sugar
3 cm of galangal, crushed
2 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp. Beef broth powder
Salt to taste
3 tbsp. Cooking Oil, for sautéing
1 piece of kaffir lime leaf
11 cloves of shallot, mashed
6 cloves of garlic, mashed
½ tsp pepper powder
2 cm of ginger, mashed
4 candlenuts, roasted and mashed
4 cm of Turmeric, mashed
Spicy Sauce Ingredients:
150 gram of peanuts, fried and mashed
9 red chili peppers, mashed
1 tbsp. palm sugar, slice smoothly (or you can substitute with brown sugar)
¼ tbsp. sugar
2 tsp of tamarind water (you can substitute with sour carambole)
3 cloves of shallot, mashed
2 cloves of garlic, mashed
Salt to taste
How to make the Spicy Sauce:
Grind the red chili peppers, shallots, garlics, salt, grinded palm sugar and tamarind water. Then, sauté the puree seasoning with 2 tbsp. of cooking oil for 3 minutes. Add 200 ml water into it and wait until the spicy sauce becomes thick. After that, lift it and put into a small bowl.
How to Cook:
1. Boil the beef (brisket) until half cooked. Then, drain it and cut into dices.
2. Add 1800 ml water into your pot and boil the beefs again.
3. While the beefs are boiled until well cooked, heat the cooking oil in a pan with a medium heat (130-140OF) and sauté the puree seasoning which have been prepared for 3 minutes. Then, add galangal, kaffir lime leaf and lemongrasses.
4. After that, put the sauté seasoning into the pot. Add salt, sugar, sweet soy sauce and beef broth powder.
5. Cook it well. Then, wait until the beefs are become tender and ready to be served.
6. Serve: Prepare the bowl and fill it with the complements, such as short bean sprouts, glass noodles which have been boiled, green onions, celeries, fried soy beans, crispy fried shallots.
7. To make it more delicious, eat the special yellow beef soup of Sokaraja with rice, spicy sauce and crackers.
Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.
(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)