Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Can you please give me your comments or suggestions about the readability of my recipe translation?

Special Yellow Beef Soup of Sokaraja
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total: 65 minutes

Ingredients:
500 gram of beef (choose the brisket cut)
750 ml water
2 stalks of lemongrass, crushed (you can substitute with 2 lemon verbena leaves)
1 tbsp. sugar
3 cm of galangal, crushed
2 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp. Beef broth powder
Salt to taste
3 tbsp. Cooking Oil, for sautéing
1 piece of kaffir lime leaf

Puree Seasoning:
11 cloves of shallot, mashed
6 cloves of garlic, mashed
½ tsp pepper powder
2 cm of ginger, mashed
4 candlenuts, roasted and mashed
4 cm of Turmeric, mashed

Spicy Sauce Ingredients:
150 gram of peanuts, fried and mashed
9 red chili peppers, mashed
1 tbsp. palm sugar, slice smoothly (or you can substitute with brown sugar)
¼ tbsp. sugar
2 tsp of tamarind water (you can substitute with sour carambole)
3 cloves of shallot, mashed
2 cloves of garlic, mashed
Salt to taste

How to make the Spicy Sauce:
Grind the red chili peppers, shallots, garlics, salt, grinded palm sugar and tamarind water. Then, sauté the puree seasoning with 2 tbsp. of cooking oil for 3 minutes. Add 200 ml water into it and wait until the spicy sauce becomes thick. After that, lift it and put into a small bowl.

How to Cook:
1. Boil the beef (brisket) until half cooked. Then, drain it and cut into dices.
2. Add 1800 ml water into your pot and boil the beefs again.
3. While the beefs are boiled until well cooked, heat the cooking oil in a pan with a medium heat (130-140OF) and sauté the puree seasoning which have been prepared for 3 minutes. Then, add galangal, kaffir lime leaf and lemongrasses.
4. After that, put the sauté seasoning into the pot. Add salt, sugar, sweet soy sauce and beef broth powder.
5. Cook it well. Then, wait until the beefs are become tender and ready to be served.
6. Serve: Prepare the bowl and fill it with the complements, such as short bean sprouts, glass noodles which have been boiled, green onions, celeries, fried soy beans, crispy fried shallots.
7. To make it more delicious, eat the special yellow beef soup of Sokaraja with rice, spicy sauce and crackers.

asked by Fatimah Rima 7 months ago
549e8932 10cd 439c b14d 3ae4fb8085bc  image

Looks Nice! It sounds like a delicious recipe and you did it well! You also have already give the subtitution for some ingredients.

I think you can increase the 750ml water into 2550ml? it will more help the reader to prepare the ingredients well. I also suggest you to give the picture of the soup.

How long we have to wait the beefs in the first step?

D687397b 0fee 4010 98b4 143cfff52fdb  fb avatar

thank you :) for the beef, you can wait until half cooked (try to check it using fork/spoon)

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Sounds like a nice recipe! A word on English grammar: "beef" is the plural form of the word "beef". The word "beefs" does not exist in English (I assume you are interested in hearing about grammatical issues because you asked about readability).

thank you :)
Besides the readability, do you want to give any feedback/suggestion?

A7dd3c0f 12e4 431a 958f 2ebfebf08ba7  image

I do agree. Just write "beef", you don't need to add "s".
Moreover, the readability of your recipe is good! Well done

782d93cd 4818 4525 8397 3a706416647c  2214 677475471569 557 n

This looks delicious! Some suggestions:

• Previous suggestions on substitutions would be very helpful for some of these ingredients. I've tried my hand at Southeast Asian cooking, and living in New York I've got more availability than your average American cook, but even then it can be tricky. Here are some of your ingredients that might not be available. Galangal, kaffir lime leaf, candlenuts, tamarind water / sour carambole.

• Maybe offer beef bullion instead of beef powder.

• Clarify turmeric and lemongrass as being fresh turmeric and lemongrass, and possibly offer alternative measurements if powdered can be substituted.

• Using "tablespoons" and "teaspoons" instead of "cm" and "cloves" is helpful when our produce is differently sized than yours. This is especially true with shallots. Your shallots are much smaller than ours. 11 cloves of shallot would turn into a few cups of shallots.

• What kind of red chili peppers are you using? Fresh or dried?

• Step 3 looks like there's a typo with 1,400º F.