Dinner party dessert

What's your best showstopper dinner party dessert? Bonus points for anything that uses late spring / early summer fruits.

• Posted by: Imogen
  • May 11, 2016

BakerRB
BakerRB May 11, 2016

Pavlova with a tangy curd and fruit as desired.
Individual but non-fruit: Merveilleux (David Lebovitz recipe) - almost no one has heard or seen it so it's a novelty and delicious.

ktr
ktr May 11, 2016

I always love a free form fruit tart.

burning-ice
burning-ice May 12, 2016

Eton Mess. Incredibly easy to prepare, just use the fruits you have/would like to eat, and the amount can easily be adjusted.

BerryBaby May 12, 2016

Trifle! Use a clear, straight sided bowl so you can see all the layers and colors. It's very impressive and oh so easy to make. Every time I have made this for a party, people are impressed.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G May 12, 2016

Strawberry shortcake layer cake. Cut the layers in half horizontally for a dramatically tall cake. Lots of gorgeous fresh berries and whipped cream on top.

Imogen
Imogen May 12, 2016

Do you have a favourite cake recipe for the layers? Thanks!

Stephanie G
Stephanie G May 12, 2016

Yes, I do. I just received the book "Layered" by Tessa Huff and it's the recipe on the cover. Im not sure if the recipe is available online on a blog. I'm sure any plain chiffon cake would work! If you google the book you will see the recipe. It's stunning.

Susan W May 12, 2016

Boccona Dolche. I make it every June when the first Oregon strawberries appear at the farmers market.

Susan W May 12, 2016

Boccone Dolce..not the mess my kindle chose. Here is a good recipe for it. http://letthebakingbeginblog.com/2012/12/boccone-dolce-sweet-mouthful/

Emily Love
Emily Love May 12, 2016

I love making galettes in the spring/summer with in season fruit! Super easy and no pressure because they're supposed to look rustic! I just use a regular pie crust recipe (flour, butter, salt, ice water), let the dough sit in the fridge overnight or at least two hours then roll out to around 12 inches. Throw the berries in some honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon/nutmeg and dump in the middle leaving 1 inch along the outside. Then just fold the edges in, and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. Voila! Here's a recipe if you're more of a follow exact instructions kind of gal.

http://www.dinneralovestory.com/five-reasons-to-make-a-berry-galette/

Emily Love
Emily Love May 12, 2016

Oh and obviously serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream!

AntoniaJames May 12, 2016

Mary Berry's Fraisier cake; find it on the bbc site. Or, when our blueberries are ripe, my ricotta custard and blueberry tart with a nut crescent crust posted here on Food52. Both are somewhat unique here in California; components can be made well in advance, which of course is essential, at least in my kitchen, for any dinner party dessert. (For future reference: favorite winter showstopper: Paris-Brest.) ;o)