Spring/summer soups

I typically think of soup as a cold weather meal. What are some soups that are best in the spring/summer?

asked by Sarah over 3 years ago

Gabriella

Try a gazpacho or another cold soup. I really also enjoy cauliflower soup this time of year, it can be pretty light with a splash of lemon, but still creamy, bonus that it's SO simple to make.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I like to let seasonal ingredients lead me to the type of soup I'll make. However, you bring up a good point re: weather. There are so many delicious soup recipes on the site and recipe ratios. I suggest typing in the vegetables you have in season in the soup menu and see what comes up. Let me know if you have specific vegetables you'd like to use and I'll look through my soup recipes and send you links.

Chef Lisa

I am fond of avocado shooters. Simple to prepare and the sky is the limit on garnishes. A google search will return hundreds of examples. I serve this typically as a starter with fish.

Gazpacho is the best. So easy to make and the ingredients are available for months and months.

You can also do a search on Cold Soup in the Recipes section on the site. Lots of great recipes.

JulieS

There are so many variations on "gazpacho " out there that you could practically prepare a different one every night! Think beyond just tomato (even though they are wonderful in their own right). There are white gazpachos, Spanish style with ground almonds and more. Here is a delicious one to try: http://food52.com/recipes...

Vichyssoise is common in the summer in my parts (ct).

Sweets

sweet pea soup with mint. I guess you can make it with frozen peas in the winter, but its just not the same.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

This week I had a cold asparagus and nettle soup made w mushroom stock, olive oil and garlic and last week I had a sweet pea gazpacho. I think the peas were cooked, blended, and served cold.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Check out "Your Best Warm Weather Soup" contest from last September:
https://food52.com/contests...

Patricia

Try the Moroccan-Spiced Cold Tomato Soup on Epicurious. It's simple & delicious - a lovely first course for a summer dinner, or great on its own for a light meal.

Fruit soups, often featuring stones fruits - plums, cherries and the like - from Hungarian, other Mitteleuropa, Scandinavian traditions. Also, borscht, cold with swirls of yogurt or sour cream. Last, at end of summer or early fall, beautiful fish chowders, with fresh corn and optional potatoes...hot, comforting, savory and lovely as the cooler nights come on.