I'm trying to make Indian rice-urad dal dosas and the recipe calls for a nonstick pan. given that this is a recipe/food that certainly pre-dates nonstick pans, what would be appropriate to use? my only nonstick is for egg-frying, i'd be making miniature dosas...

nutcakes
nutcakes January 17, 2011

Seasoned cast iron or seasoned flat bottom carbon steel wok or other pan should work--heavy, hot and the seasoning makes them nonstick.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph January 17, 2011

Yes Seasoned cast iron or seasoned flat bottom carbon steel wok also a thin or thick flat non stick pan work very well you can see how we make dosa in thin non stick pan (you can find in my picture)

pauljoseph
pauljoseph January 17, 2011

Try this egg dosa recipe http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Kankana
Kankana January 17, 2011

I have always used a plain simple non stick pan and it works fine for me. What i do is, i cut the edge of the potato and prick it with a fork , and use the flat side to slightly oil the pan.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph January 18, 2011

Same dosa dough/Batter you cam make idli http://en.wikipedia.org...

Raquelita
Raquelita January 18, 2011

thanks everyone! you have confirmed my suspicion that this is the right opportunity to get my cast iron seasoned up--I've been too scared of messing it up but dosas are worth it. i tested a few in my miniature pan last night and they were pretty good!

susan g January 18, 2011

There is a restaurant in Washington DC -- Indique -- that serves mini masala dosas as an appetizer. We had been hoping to go back to a place that was there 25 years ago (Paru's, now in CA), for their dosas that were something like 2 feet across, made by the owner's mother standing behind the counter -- a joy to watch!

Raquelita
Raquelita January 18, 2011

ok, i tried again tonight on a seasoned cast-iron...I still did not get the results I'd like. i had a lot of issues spreading the batter thin (it was sticking to the bottom of my spoon and created holes), then it never got crispy and shiny underneath. I wonder if my bigger problem is the batter--it separates into a watery layer and a heavier grain layer, so maybe I didn't grind the rice fine enough or added too much water? I was using an immersion blender, since I don't have a food processor or regular blender. What do people think?? Pan, batter, combination?

pauljoseph
pauljoseph January 18, 2011

Wash Soak Urad Dhal for 6 hours. And wash and soak rice and a pinch of Fenugreek For 10 hours separately
Grind grams to a smooth frothy paste. Grind rice to a pouring consistency and mix both tougher and stir well . Keep aside for 8 to 10 hours.( at 90 degrees F.)