Doubling paella recipes -- but only have 1 paella pan that will probably make paella for 4-5. Should I just use a large frying pan for the 2d batch or perhaps try making the whole thing it in a roasting pan that can go on the stove? Unfortunately, no grill.

asked by allie about 8 years ago

Mr_Vittles

I would try whatever has the most surface area. If the roasting pan is bigger then goes with that. The undisputed best part of any paella is the toasted crunchy bits on the bottom of the pan called the "socarrat". The larger surface area equals more crunchy delicious-ness.

SweetTea

I've made paella for years in a large skillet and it turned out just fine. I have also used a large square roasting pan set over two burners with success.

I would definitely use the large skillet. I'm a little skeptical of the roasting pan as it's going to be too deep. I've had to improvise before with either cazuelas or the base of a tagine. But keep in mind also, that paella pans are very inexpensive so having an additional one on hand won't cost you much.

allie

Thank you! This time, will use the skillet for the 2d batch. If paella becomes part of my standard dinner party menu, I think I'll buy a larger pan (though where to store it...)

Verdigris

I have used a wok before with reasonable success. I know you didn't mention having one, but thought I would open up another avenue.