🔕 🔔

Doubling paella recipes -- but only have 1 paella pan that will probably make paella for 4-5. Should I just use a large frying pan for the 2d batch or perhaps try making the whole thing it in a roasting pan that can go on the stove? Unfortunately, no grill.

asked by allie almost 7 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

I would try whatever has the most surface area. If the roasting pan is bigger then goes with that. The undisputed best part of any paella is the toasted crunchy bits on the bottom of the pan called the "socarrat". The larger surface area equals more crunchy delicious-ness.

13396e3c bb40 4b40 9900 579f74cbabff  si

I've made paella for years in a large skillet and it turned out just fine. I have also used a large square roasting pan set over two burners with success.

I would definitely use the large skillet. I'm a little skeptical of the roasting pan as it's going to be too deep. I've had to improvise before with either cazuelas or the base of a tagine. But keep in mind also, that paella pans are very inexpensive so having an additional one on hand won't cost you much.

Thank you! This time, will use the skillet for the 2d batch. If paella becomes part of my standard dinner party menu, I think I'll buy a larger pan (though where to store it...)

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

I have used a wok before with reasonable success. I know you didn't mention having one, but thought I would open up another avenue.