🔕 🔔

A question about cocktails.

Morning.

I am planning on bottling pre-mixed cocktails as party favors for a party that I am hosting (2 ounce bottles). The cocktail has alcohol, bitters, and also simple syrup. I am curious how long the mixture can be stored for. I have read that simple syrup can go bad, so I just wanted to make sure that these little bottles won't have a short expiration date.

Does anyone have an idea about that?

-scott.

asked by scott over 2 years ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Although simple syrup on its own can grow mold, your cocktails sound like they'll have a high enough percentage of alcohol to prevent any microbial growth. Even lower proof and sugary spirits like Campari and Aperol are shelf-stable for years. To be extra sure, you could boil the simple syrup for 5 min shortly before using it, and also sterilize the bottles in boiling water.

So since it is mostly alcohol it should likely last at least six months out of fridge?

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Just alcohol, bitters, and simple syrup? I'd call that a "liqueur," not a "cocktail," and you can find lots of info on homemade liqueurs on the web. I've made a lot of them, and yes, they last 6 months.