🔕 🔔

Has anyone baked with #Coconut Flour? If so, what did you think ? @Food52Hotline @nevenmaguire

asked by @Rachelgaffney 12 months ago
Amy

Well, I haven't actually baked with it, but as a baker, I can tell you that it won't have any gluten structure at all. What are you using it for? It absolutely will not be a 1:1 replacement for regular flour, because it's missing the gluten.

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

The most successful baking project that I've used Coconut Flour in was about 2/3 of a cup in a King Cake -esque pastry. It added a subtle, aromatic coconut flavor and made the crumb of the dough more tender since, as Amy mentioned, it contains neither of the proteins that create gluten.

A dough made with coconut flour in addition to wheat flour will tear very easily so I wouldn't try it for anything that requires much working or kneading of the dough. On the other hand you can use a much higher ratio of coconut to wheat flour in batters. It would be great in a citrusy muffin or waffle batter. But finding the right kind/amount of leavening might take a few test batches.

I make these brownies with coconut flour. The batter gets pretty thick, so I sometimes add an extra egg (depending on how big my eggs are). The results are delicious.

https://food52.com/recipes...