Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Rethinking upside down cake for a crowd. I have to transport it offsite and now I'm wondering about unmolding it. One option is to keep it in a warming oven. I'd have to drop them off at noon and have them held pretty hot for 2-1/2 hours. Then unmold on a cutting board. I don't think they will unmold cold. Or I can made now and unmold to serving tray. Serve cold.

asked by nutcakes almost 6 years ago
Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Multiple thoughts in response: 1)Doesn't seem you could hold 'pretty hot' for 2-1/2 hours without significant drying; 2) Could you butter parchment in the bottom of the pan and only have it in a warming oven for maybe 30 mins, just to reheat enough to peel off paper and have slightly warm cake when serving? 3) Serving cake already on tray at room temp seems like okay option; 4) Depending on crowd, if hotter is the way this particular cake should be served, maybe need to switch to a cake that will be more optimal in the environment available.

Thank you for idea #2, I think that will work.

It's coming along, but this is a nail biter. Good thing it's a late lunch. I found more people were coming than expected too, so I had to make another cake and scrounge up fruit. One cake I made double size in a 10 or 12 inch pan. It isn't cooking inside and the outside is getting very crusty. I hope I measured everything correctly. I'm just turning down the heat to 300F. I have a double cranberry, a pineapple cherry, a peach pineapple and a pineapple pear.

Thanks Queen of Spoons, it all turned out. The cakes never cooled completely and just a short time in the hot pizza warming oven worked well and I'm sure the parchment in the bottom helped. The cranberry was surprisingly the most popular. It was nice to have warm fruit on the cakes with ice cream.