I bought a pizza stone from WS and when I cook with it emits and odd smell. It's nothing that transfers onto the food, but enough to make my apartment smell. Any ideas what's causing it or how to get rid of it?

asked by JessieLK over 7 years ago

I would call them -- sounds like replacement time.

If you google "pizza stone odor," you'll find that you're not the only one with this problem. People seemed to find all sorts of possible reasons for the smell--oil, detergents, cooking greasy foods on the stones. The advice I thought might be worth trying would be to coat it with a paste of baking soda and water, let it sit for a while, and then soak it off in hot water. Good luck.

JessieLK

It's my first one, thought it was normal. Thanks for the tip!

RobertaJ

Were there any care/use instructions that came along with the stone? It may have needed to have been seasoned or washed prior to use. I'd review any documentation, and see if that address the issue. If not, give W/S a call, and see what they say. Their customer service is top-notch.