🔕 🔔

pizza stone - roasting

I am cooking my turkey on the lowest rack level of my oven, with the roasting pan on a pizza stone - this is my first time using a pizza stone:) At what temperature do I heat the pizza stone ( my oven goes to 500 degrees) and how long does it heat before putting the roast pan with turkey on the stone?

asked by Ellie Landau 11 months ago

85eec992 1575 48a9 b9bd 150152de8456  lou ny 2008 2 reasonably small

Depending on the size of stone, for pizza, the stone should heat for an hour at 450-500 F. For turkey I'd make it a bit higher than your planned temp for roasting. Then drop the temp once the bird has been in for about 10 mns.

Df2d539f 4b79 4684 9d1b 726bb830d217  bitt portrait web
Mark Bittman

Mark is the author of over a dozen books, including his most recent, How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking.

Just ignore it. Proceed as usual. Cooking might be a little faster, but you won't notice much difference.

Hi Mark:
Thank you for responding, so cool to hear from you! Can you please explain your answer, I am not sure what you mean....:)
and, I love your recipes, advise, etc. You are truly an amazing chef and I hope to get some of your cookbooks in the near future:) Do you ever sign copies of your book? That would be so awesome to have!!! :):)

I'm glad Mr. Bittman weighed in on this. I've been having second thoughts about it, wondering if it's worth the trouble. He confirmed that it's not. Happy Thanksgiving, Ellie! ;o)

Hi Antonia:

So are you and Mark recommending not using a pizza stone? Just put roast pan on very lowest rack? Thank you!

Yes, Ellie.
Sorry about the fire drill on that.
But you really need a meat thermometer to check for doneness, given that you are not following the recipe exactly. Have a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving! ;o)

Okay, you and Mark recommend no pizza stone, just put roasting pan on lowest rack and check temperature. Correct? Do you have a suggestion on a great instant read thermometer? Thank you so much!!! :)

3dab5e88 33eb 4bd4 9a98 cff872268cfd  meathead logo 150
meathead

Author of the New York Times Best Seller “Meathead, The Science of Barbecue and Grilling” and barbecue whisperer of AmazingRibs.com.

I am NOT a fan of putting birds in roasting pans because the sides and the liquids in the bottom keep the bottom from warming at the same rate as the top. The air in the pan will not get over 200F. I put the bird on the middle rack of the oven and a pan on the bottom rack with foil surrounding it in case a few drips miss the pan. Then I put the trim from the cavities, the neck, and wing tips with onion, carrot, celery, and water in there so I make a stock. This way warm air circulates all around the bird and the bottom cooks at the same rate as the top. Even if you put the bird in the roasting pan, the stone will heat the pan a bit faster, but once the pan is at oven temp, the stone will give you no advantage.

Thank you so much! No pizza stone then:) I so appreciate all the advice - so amazing and grateful! :):) Happy Thanksgiving!