🔕 🔔

How long can you actually keep preserved lemons for? I found some in the back of my fridge that I made, oh, about a year ago at this point, and about 1/4 of the jar is left. Should I toss them at this point?

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

asked almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

The recipe I used to make preserved lemons says they're good for a year in the fridge. I think as long as there's no mold growing on them they're probably fine. There's so much salt and acid I don't think bacterial contamination would be a worry.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree--as a traditional preservation method, with very high salt and acidity there is unlikely to be any contamination--the only times I've seen any problems would be near the surface if some of the mixture has separated and gotten moldy--so check for abnormalities on the top.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. It just seems like there's way too much salt and acid for anything much to grow in there!