The Shelf Life of Preserved Lemons

I found a jar of preserved lemons hidden in the pantry that I made about 4 tears ago. According to various cookbooks,the shelf life ranges from 6 months to one year to indefinitely. The lemons were preserved with a couple of bay leaves,coriander seeds and black peppercorns.Oh and lots of salt! They have remained submerged in the lemon juice.
Are they still safe to use?

• Posted by: T.T.
  • May 20, 2011

Voted the Best Reply!

Amanda Hesser May 20, 2011

They are probably safe but they may not taste very good. I find their flavor begins to diminish after just a few months, even in the fridge.

boulangere May 20, 2011

Good to know. I've got some in the fridge that need to get used up.

T.T.
T.T. May 20, 2011

Thanks Amanda! Do the flavors loose their brightness,or they are not as lemony? I ll give one a try. I am itching to use them. I suppose I'll have to get some fresh jars going.

I would love to hear some more feed back on this thread

boulangere May 20, 2011

Thank you for asking the question, TT. The same had crossed my mind, but I obviously hadn't run it to ground. I seriously have a lot that have been in the fridge for probably 4 months now. I've used a few, but I need to get a move on. I'd hate to lose them.

AntoniaJames May 20, 2011

I have some preserved lemons made about 15 months ago with my own, right off the tree, Meyers and a lot of good, fresh juice, which I topped off every few months until lemon season ended last summer. I topped off the lemon juice again in January. The preserved lemons now are terrific. They're a bit more mellow, but with a deeper lemon flavor, than the "younger" ones. I don't refrigerate them, but do keep them in a consistently cool storage area, away from the light. (I'm still trying to figure what I was thinking at the time, making 4+ quarts of them . . . . ) ;o)

AntoniaJames May 20, 2011

Also, I read somewhere (a respected cookbook author, I'm sure, but I cannot remember who) saying that he doesn't even open his until they've been around for a year, because he likes the ones that have aged so much better. I agree. That said, I also topped mine off with fresh lemon juice, which I suspect contributes to their good staying power. ;o)

boulangere May 20, 2011

If 4 quarts have you wondering what you were thinking, AntoniaJames, I have 10. Seriously.

Kiterschkes
Kiterschkes December 7, 2018

Yes. Salt is a natural preservative. Submersion is key as well. The flavor should by now be very intense so follow guidance on major websites, i.e., FoodTV, NYTimes, etc. I have some current jars ranging from 2 1/2 years to 5 years and they are all very heavy with flavor and umami.

Nancy December 8, 2018

Tangential but helpful tip for keeping them a long time.
One of my recipes reminds us to remove the lemons with a clean utensil...not something already used in cooking or stirring other food ....to avoid contaminating or adding bacteria to the preserved lemons.