🔕 🔔

What are the best substitutes for cognac? I've done a little research myself, but want to know what has been best for you guys from experience.

asked by runsnmx over 6 years ago

oh, and if this is helpful, I'm trying a recipe from this website. Chicken breasts in a mustardy sauce.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

All cognac is brandy (distilled wine), but not all brandy is cognac. . . so, you can substitute most brandies for cognac. Little secret, I once fooled one of the top NY French chefs in a blind tasting of cognac, but I threw Bushmill's Black Bush before it was imported into the USA. He thought it was brandy!

Any domestic brandy will work fine as substitute for Cognac in cooking applications, especially where the flavor of the brandy is not a key element. As with other cooking spirits, though, don't use it to cook with if you wouldn't drink it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

thank you , maybe when the flambe dies down my dinner guests won't be the wiser Happy Thanksgiving !