🔕 🔔

Anybody have a clever way to use up 5 egg yolks? I'm using the whites in a souffle and hate to waste the yolks. Thanks.

asked by fishesm almost 7 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Lots of great desserts, like custards, pots de creme, sabayons require egg yolks but no whites, like this lovely Black Mission Fig Creme Brulee: http://bit.ly/hShOFC

22589e88 35b5 4537 b7d0 6ccbd7eafcb2  fig creme pic1

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

You could make a TON of aioli (homemade -- often garlic-infused -- mayonnaise). 1 yolk to every half cup of olive oil. Temper the yolk with a touch of mustard and then gradually whisk in the olive oil being careful not to let the emulsion break. You want a matte (as oppose to glossy) color. Throw together some seasonal crudité (lightly boiled perhaps), and voilà: lunch. Beware, however, that the aioli doesn't last much longer than a day in the fridge.

I cook them and give them to my dog.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Keep them in airtight container in fridge for next meal: frittata.

Five yolks is just about right for a gelato if the you have an ice cream maker.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

This may be your opportunity to bring Sabayon back (I've been campaigning for it to be the next 'It' dessert.) Kind of retro, rich/decadent without being fussy...plus, all that whisking is great for your arms. Win-win-win.

Julia Childs/Jaques Pepin's recipe is pretty classic (basically 3-4 ingredients including the yolks): http://www.epicurious.com...

Btw, I don't think it needs the 'glazed' step - wonderful served simply with fresh strawberries. Raspberries or peaches are good too; with very ripe fresh figs it's almost criminal.

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

Any kind of chocolate pots de creme! Like this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes... or make these by way of Dorie Greenspan and Daniel Boulud and enter them in the cardamom contest this week!
http://www.foodnetwork...

What a wonderful bounty to have in the kitchen!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

For yolks in waiting, I put a little water over them so they won't dry out on top.

8ffee19e 9770 4660 8618 2c5b0834349d  img 7043

You guys are good! Thanks for all the suggestions. The souffle was a hit tonight -- my 2-year-old cleaned her plate -- and the yolks will become fritatta for brekky with ingredients I have on hand. I'll save the dessert recipes for next time and plan to go shopping in advance. Yum!

Maybe make a semifreddo or lemon curd. Here's a recipe for a refreshing meyer lemon semifreddo... I just made it the other day. Now, what to do with the egg whites...

http://www.epicurious.com...

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

I love foodpickle! I spent ALL day making macarons and have a dozen yolks, some almonds, cream and Meyer lemons leftover. What to make with it all? I searched Foodpickle for previous pickles and found this entry and the link to the Meyer Lemon Semifreddo - brilliant!