angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream

A friend has requested a cake for her birthday that her mother used to make: angel food with strawberries and whipped cream, already assembled. My mother used to make this, and my (distant) memory of it is that she would split the cake horizontally, make a trough in the bottom layer and fill it with whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries. The top layer would be replaced and the entire cake would be frosted with whipped cream. I need to know how far in advance I can assemble it without it getting too soggy as I won't be present at the time it's eaten. Help, anyone?

• Posted by: ATL
  • July 27, 2016

Nancy July 27, 2016

Sign me up!
I know this dessert as strawberry shortcake (made with angel food cake).
Unfortunately - unless there's a trick someone knows - I fear assembly in advance won't work...you may have a soggy, collapsed mess.
As you can't be there, suggest you package the 3 elements separately and give to someone who can be your surrogate to serve.
If your server can't execute the whole trough with berries & cream, etc, there is a simpler way to serve:
cut wedges of cake, top with berries (sliced fresh or macerated a little in some sugar and liqueur), then with whipped cream.
Good luck...(are you sure you can't attend?).

PHIL
PHIL July 27, 2016

My Mom makes a similar cake ,but with a chocolate cake. If you are making a strawberry shortcake recipe, which would mean using strawberries with sugar and the juice then I agree with Nancy, sogginess will ensue, the wedge idea is better. My Mom's version may work for you. She would put a layer of cream down on top of the first layer then just cut the strawberries in half ,dry them with a paper towel and lay them on top of the cream( no trough cut out) then put the top layer on and finish covering with whipped cream. She would make this assemble the cake the night before or in the morning and put it in the fridge (don't put anything stinky near the cake like onions). Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, Good luck.

Susan W July 27, 2016

My mom also made hers like Phils mom except always with angel food cake. She would make it in the morning to serve it at beach BBQs. It held up well, but we lived on the beach so it would sit in the fridge under a cake dome until it was time for dessert. She also made a chocolate whipped cream version with chocolate glaze that I requested every birthday. No berries on that one.

BerryBaby July 27, 2016

My sister use to make this all the time in the 70's it was very popular. She used frozen whipped topping (softened/defrosted) instead of whipped cream. She'd make it the morning of serving it later that day. Something about the whipped topping that didn't make it soggy.

PHIL
PHIL July 27, 2016

The whipped topping formed some sort of impervious chemical shield.

ATL
ATL July 27, 2016

Thank you everyone! The suggestions are very helpful. I've decided to go with the wedge approach supplemented with the sweetened strawberries and whipped cream rather than risk the soggy factor. But it's good to know there are options. Thanks so much again!